I could feel his teeth grazing my skin, but he didn’t bite down. His actions made a shiver run through my body, which made Layton tense.

“I really am sorry,” he apologized again, his voice growing serious.

“Zev hugged me before he left. It’s why his scent was all over me. That’s all,” I told him.

Layton had asked me to keep Zev away, and I had promised not to see him. After Layton apologized, I felt like he deserved an explanation.

A smile returned to his lips, and he pressed me closer to his chest.

“I wish you two would be friends again,” I whispered softly, running my hand over the side of his face.

“Don’t say that,” Layton sharply said.

“It would be good for both of you.”

“I’ve let some things that you do slip, even when I don’t approve of them. But I don’t want to talk about Zev, and I’m not interested in his friendship,” Layton said with a blank expression.

“You two would be great friends, and Zev is awesome,” I continued to press.

I panicked when he got up from the bed and grabbed his clothes.

“I’m leaving. I’ll call you when I can,” he said.

“Stay.”

Layton turned to look at him, but then continued on his way towards the window. It was ironic that I was now the one asking him to stay while he wanted to leave.

I quickly jumped from the bed and ran towards the window, trying to block Layton’s path.

“I’m not letting you out,” I told him, crossing my arms on my chest and puffing it out.

“Get out of my way Cassidy or I’ll move you out.”

I smiled at his threat. If Layton witnessed me pushing him back with my mind, without even touching him, he would definitely be freaked out.

“You can try, but I’m really strong,” I grinned at him, with a mischievous look. I was hoping to lighten the mood.

“Really?” Layton asked, cocking an eyebrow.

“Yup, I can totally kick your butt. I’m just giving you the option.”

I couldn’t help but grin when Layton smirked at me.

“You do know that I can move you out of the way just with a light push, right?”

“I would like to see you try,” I taunted.

“What if I do?”

“I’ll listen to you for a whole day,” I offered.

“Make that a week and we have a deal,” he said, cocking an eyebrow.

I thought about it for a moment, wondering how bad it could be. Layton was usually bossy, so it wasn’t like his offer would make much of a difference.

“Deal,” I said, outstretching my hand for him to shake.

“Deal,” he repeated, pulling on my hand and crashing me to his chest.

“Nice distraction,” Layton told me, pecking my lips.

I grinned widely at him. He’d figured it out, but I didn’t care. He had stayed and it was all that mattered.

“Come on. You’re interrupting my precious hours of sleep,” I whined, sticking out my tongue at him.

He was making me tug on his arm to bring him to bed, putting all his strength in standing still. After a few moments of struggling and failing to make him move, he finally took a step towards the bed.