Chapter 3

A/n: my little bunny Roger died :(

"Jesus Christ Austin..." I gasped and held a hand over my beating heart. I dropped the knife and opened the compartment where Jason was curled up and crying into his stuffed bunny.

"Baby it's okay." I whispered and picked him up, letting him cry into my chest.

"Momma hurt?" he looked up at me with his face covered in tear stains and snot and his bottom lip poking out.

"No I'm okay" I whispered and kissed the tip of his nose. "But guess who's here?"

"Austie!" he yelled and wiped his face with his sleeve before wiggling down from my arms and running the short distance to Austin, jumping into his arms.

"Austie imma show you my Batmans!" Jason yelled and quickly crawled over to the other side of our van.

"Alright buddy I'm listening" Austin gave him a smile and sat criss cross in front of him while Jason talked on and on about his comic books.

^^^

When Jason finally talked himself to sleep, Austin had him tucked tightly in his arms. He was humming softly and running his fingers through Jason's thick red hair. I watched them with a small smile. Austin looked up at me, giving me a small smile.

"Do you want him back?" Austin asked, nodding down to Jason who was firmly latched onto his shirt. 

"He looks comfortable there" I laughed as he crouched and walked over to where I was sitting.

"I want to talk to you about... This.." He gestured to the van we were sitting in. "Is this where you live?" He eyed the bundle of blankets that we used as a bed. The blankets consisted of batman, Scooby-Doo and Marvel Comics print. Then he glanced over to the box that held all our hygiene supplies, consisting of Green Lantern body wash, and Spiderman toothbrushes. 

"Yeah.." I sighed and looked down at my legs that were sprawled out in front of me, there were holes in my joggers mostly around the knee area and the pattern was fading from the years of wearing them. 

"Why?" 

"Well I don't know Austin, maybe because I just fucking love to sleep on the cold floor of this broken van while my child cries because he's cold" By now I was full on crying for the third or fourth time today. 

"I hate it that I can't pay the bills for a house, that I can't even afford to get this car fixed or even pay for a portable heater for the winter." I sniffed and rubbed my eyes before continuing "I mean most of this stuff we have in here is stolen..." the rest was just drown out by my sobs and hiccups as I tried to explain. 

"Okay, first of all calm down or you're going to give yourself a panic attack" he placed a tattooed hand on my thigh and waited until I had calmed down enough to breathe properly. But even that didn't help because once my crying had stopped, I had another problem on my hands, my cheeks were flushed and my heart rate sped up. I mean what can I say, a very attractive man is touching my leg right now.

"And second, I don't want you to live here." He looked around at the broken windows replaced with cardboard.

"Okay... Well where am I supposed to live genius?" I asked and shoved his hand off my leg. I mean it kind of pisses me off that he doesn't want Jason and I to live in the only shelter I could find, I mean what, does he want us to live under a bridge or something? 

"With me genius" he smirked and rocked Jason softly when he began to stir. I stared at him in disbelief. We just met and now he wants us to move in with him? For all I know he could be a psycho path that wants to kill me and my son and fill our bodies with sand so he can put us with his other human stuffed animals.