Chapter 14

My last normal day. How right I was with that statement. Today I meet up with Edward and Al. Today I might have to see him, and I haven't fully convinced myself that I'm ready to.

I see the short blond one pacing back and forth in front of large steps that lead to the building I never thought I'd go to. He stops pacing once he notices me jogging towards him. "You two ready?" I ask as cheerfully as I could at the moment.

Ed raises an eyebrow. "Yeah," he states simply. He waits a bit before he asks me a weird question, "So what did you have to do to be able to take the test?"

"What do you mean? Was I supposed to do something?" I shift my weight to my good leg and cross my arms. What is he talking about?

"Al and I here had to go on a train with assassins for us to be able to even try the test. So what did you do?"

"Nothing. Maybe they won't let me take the test then," I shrug as if it didn't bother me, but the look in my eyes probably gave away what I'm actually feeling. Nothing more is said as we walk up the giant staircase. Could they make this thing any more tiring?

I sort of blanked for the walk there. My mind was occupied with other thoughts like how the hell am I going to be able to take this test if I didn't make the requirements? I guess I could always make them let me. But I'm just a kid in their eyes, so they probably wouldn't give me any sign of recognition. The door to an office opens and snaps me back to reality.

I follow the boys and sit next to Edward, making him sit in the middle. I don't like feeling that I don't have a way out. I fidget with my hands a bit before I look up to the face I never wanted to see again. But his back was turned. I know it's him just by the distinct feeling I used to get whenever I was around him. He always had his chair turned like that so people couldn't see him at first and then give away the big reveal.

He says, "So, are you sure you're ready for this test?" Then he turns around to face us, and he shows no recognition of me. Does he even know who I am? Ed gives him some kind of smartass remark, but I'm too busy studying his facial expression. "Careful, Ed. I'd hate for you to get cocky," he says. "As you know," blah blah blah. Something about us training and living with someone. "...practically wrote the book on bringing things to life." The boys to my right both gasp and my eyes harden. I don't know about them, but he's definitely mocking me.

"Quick question," I interrupt. He finally looks my way and his eyes widen slightly but return to normal quickly after. Mustang raises an eyebrow as his queue to continue talking. "Why am I here if I didn't do anything special to grab the military's attention? Shouldn't I have been asked to leave once people saw some stranger with these two?"

He narrows his eyebrows a bit, "Don't you remember helping these boys on the train? Maes and I were there, and we all saw you help." He lied to the rest of the government to get me a spot? "Listen..." he paused for my name.

"Kate," I say it as if I were spitting venom at him.

"Listen, Kate," he continues. "I don't know if you're having memory issues, but if that's the case then I can't allow you to prepare for this test."

"I'm sorry, sir. I guess the train incident slipped my mind," I say with half seriousness. I hear the door open and close behind us and someone shift to listen. The colonel goes on to list details. Once we exited to leave I got to see who had opened the door earlier. I immediately smile, "Riza?"

She looks at me confused for just a second and then smiles as I had. "Kate. Didn't think I'd see you here. You're taking the alchemy test?"

"Of course I am. I've been training for almost five years now," I say matter-of-factly. Ed and Al look really confused and I love it. I shift and cross my arms, signaling that I could talk to her all day. I stand like this a lot, but in this circumstance, she knows exactly what it means.

"I'll walk them out, lieutenant-colonel," Riza tells him.

I wait a little until we're out of earshot of Roy Mustang, "A promotion? When did he get that title?"

"Not too long ago. He's been working really hard and deserves it."

"Yeah, I bet," I mumble under my breath.

"You know, your f-" she begins to say but the look I give her stops her. "The colonel," she corrects herself, "isn't that bad." I scoff. She let the boys walk ahead so they wouldn't hear the next part. "Once you left, it destroyed him. He turned into a drunk and started liking women more than usual."

"I didn't think that was possible. And if he cares so much, why didn't he look for me? Why didn't you come after me?" I sound defensive, but inspire of that, she can tell that I was just a hurt title kid. That's what everyone who knows my story thinks of me, isn't it?

She leans closer to me, "There's a reason he's climbing the ladder. Give him a chance, Kate. He does miss you, believe me."

"I have given him enough chances, Riza. Although I still trust and respect you, he lost my trust and respect when he let my baby sister die. Thanks for your escort." I walk ahead and catch up to the boys. I forgot that Riza understands me...

"So," Al starts, "how do you know Riza?" If Edward had asked this I would've slapped him upside the head, but this is Al, and he means well.

"That's a long story for another time. Where we going?" I change the subject quickly.

"Shou Tucker's estate," Al answers simply.