Chapter 11

After we finish eating, I help put away the dishes, too. Like I said, I want to thank them in any way I can. We start to finish, and I break the silence by saying to Pinako, sincerely, "Thank you... For everything." I try to say it with a smile. "I should probably get going, though."

Pinako looks confused, "Didn't you say you're from Centeral?" I nod. "That's quite far from here." She states simply.

"Yeah, it is, but I'll get back there easily," I lie to her reassuringly. She drops the subject pretty easily; I don't really give her a chance to keep talking, though, since I walk out of the room to get my stuff. I put the book I was reading back in the bag, and since I had packed ealier, I can just leave now. Putting on my backpack and my right sneaker, I walk towards the door. I stop in the doorframe. With a small wave and without turning, I say, "Thanks again." And with that, I leave. No set location, just anywhere but Central. I can't go there until I'm strong enough. Until I'm sure I can become a state alchemist.

Almost an hour after I start walking on the road, it starts to rain. I love rain! But.... It's going to get really cold out with the rain tonight, plus it's really late. I walk a little ways off of the road, clap my hands together, place them on the ground, and form a temporary little hut thing. It has three walls and a roof. It's not too bad, actually. I kinda like it! I make myself comfortable and try to sleep, trying not to think of where I'm going to go, where I'm going to live...

The time shifts... Edward: 15 years old, Alphonse: 14 years old, Kate: 15 years old

"Happy birthday, Aralyn," I whisper into the shimmering ocean colored necklace around my neck. "It's been five years already, huh? It feels like just yeaterday when I held you in my arms, reassurring you that I would fix everything," I pause. "I'm sorry I couldn't keep that promise..." With a sigh, I decide that I should stop talking to myself, because of weird glances, and start my daily walk. Ever since that day I left the Rockbell's, I've been living on the streets. Stealing food to eat, clothes to wear, and if I'm lucky, I get my hands on some money. I also look for jobs that I can do easily, so I wouldn't have to steal. I've returned to Central to become a state alchemist. Finally! I just hope I'm strong enough now....

As I'm walking, I hear a loud crash. Another fight? It's not rare.... I go to investigate... to find... Oh my god. It's him. E-Endil... He was just standing there, on the street. This is my chance! I've been practicing, just for this moment! I charge from behind him steathily.

He dodges easily, expecting me. He knew I was here? He knew I was going to try to attack him. But how exactly? How would he know? I quickly put those thoughts aside as he comes charging back. I try to dodge, but something happens to my right leg. It just...locks. What the- My thought is cut short by Endil throwing me. Literally throwing me. I soar through the air until I hit a wall. As I hit that wall, it feels like all the air that I could breath before was gone. And that caused people to run, screming. I would say they were overreacting, if not for the huge chunk of wall that was taken out. I get up, ignoring all the pain and my auto mail knee being locked up, and wipe the small amount of blood from my mouth.

I curse under my breath and clap my hands, placing them on the ground. From there, I make a large scythe that was as black as a starless night. Then someone suddenly screams, "Hey!" Oh my.. Are you serious? I turn my head to see who this idiot is. Can't they see I'm a little busy? I had just started, and I'm not finished, I won't be until I get answers. And it's kind of hard to do that if someone just starts yelling at me.

The culprit is a short blonde and a man in a suit of armor. They look at each other and discuss something before they continue to run in my direction. Wait... No way. Really? I have to deal with them now, too? Rolling my eyes, I turn back to Endil. But there's a little problem.

He's gone. He's freaking gone. You've got to be kidding me! This day couldn't get any worse. It was going great until these past five minutes. I'm not even kidding. Five minutes.

I sigh and glare at Edward and Alphonse, who are now standing next to me. "You idiots!" I scream. Edward looks pretty confused as he says, "By the looks of it, we saved you." I scoff. Just saying 'hey' is not saving someone. "Thanks, but I don't need saving," I say bitterly. I try to walk away but my stupid knee is still locks again, causing me to fall flat on my face. Edward tries to help me up, but I quickly dismiss him by saying, "No thanks, Edward. I can walk on my own."

He gives a look of shock and confusion, "How do you-"

I cut him off, "I'm not surprised if you don't remember me. It was about five years-"

Edward cuts me off, "Kate?" What's with people cutting me off all the time? That's supposed to be my job.

I shift my weight to my left leg, cross my arms over my chest, and smirk, "The one and only." I give a small wave to Alphonse and widen the smirk into a grin, "Hello Alphonse." He gives a small wave in return. "So, what are you two doing in Central?" I ask, shifting my gaze between the two.

Edward just asks cautiously, "Why do you want to know?"

I shrug and laugh a little, "I'm a curious person, Edward."

He doesn't say anything for a while, and I can tell that he doesn't trust me very much. Jeez, what did I do to make him so cautious? I resist smirking at my sarcastic thought, that really wasn't all that funny.  Alphonse broke the awkward silence by saying, "We're going to become state alchemists!"

My jaw drops. "No way. Are you serious?" I ask, mostly to myself. Alphonse nods in response to my rhetorical question. I give a small smirk and say, "Me too. That's the whole reason I came back to Central, actually."

"I thought you went back after you left," Edward says questionably.

"Nope. Honestly, I just said that so I could get out of the house and start..." I stop talking. Why am I telling them this? They don't need to know that I've been training. It's none of their business and besides, it's obvious that they don't trust me! At least I know Edward doesn't. I can't read Alphonse's facial expression since he's behind that armored mask.

"Start what?" Alphonse asks. His voice has an echo to it, suggesting that the armor is empty. Or, it could just be my imagination. At least, I hope it is...

"Nothing, it doesn't matter. The point is that I'm becoming one, too." I start to change the subject.

"How are you going to get in there? I doubt they'll let someone who looks as poor as you in there," Edward asks me. That little... I sigh. He's right, though. my clothes are tattered, my hair is tangled, and I'm covered in dirt. They'll never let me in until I clean myself up.

"Don't you worry your short little head about what I'm going to do," I reply teasingly, intending to insult him. Which, I guess, worked. He look furious! I burst out laughing once he start to yell. "Who you calling pipsqueak?" was his first sentence. Alphonse held him back so he wouldn't start hitting me. By this time, I was on the ground laughing so hard that tears started to escape from my eyes. I called him short and this is his response! I love it; it's absolutely hilarious!

I stand back up as he begins to calm down. With a few last chuckles I turn to him, "I haven't laughed like that in a long time! Thanks, pipsqueak." He glares at me, which makes me laugh some more. "I'm just messing with you. You're not that short, so calm down!" He wasn't much shorter than me, I'd say only a couple inches. And if I'm calling him short, I'm calling myself short as well. Frankly, I'd rather not insult myself.

I wipe a tear from my eye and I plan to walk inbetween them. Unfortunatly, my knee locks up again and as I begin to fall... And Edward catches me, "I guess your auto mail needs repairing." I stand up straight, lightly pushing myself off him.

Brushing some hair out of my face I reply sarcastically, "No, not at all. It's not like it's been five years since it's been professionally repaired." Edward sighs and begins to walk in my direction.

"Follow me," is all he says when he walks past me. I give a confused look, but reluctantly follow him.