March, 2016

Ryan tapped on the microphone which was attached to the podium in the front of the fifty person support group conference. The support group was for people who just couldn't give up on pills.
"Hi, i'm Ryan Hawkins. My mom passed away five years ago because she gave in. It was my fault. I'm here today to tell you that no matter how bad your situation may be, you can overcome it. I grew up without a father and I didn't have too many friends, I messed around and got addicted to all the things you should never cling to. Thank you, and have a great day."
---
   Ryan sat on the curb outside of the building that the meeting was in and lit another cigarette. The sky was a burnt red, as if the sun exploded across the atmosphere. Ryan wore an open flannel with a Real Friends shirt on as a tall figure hovered over him.
   "Are you Ryan?" The guy asked with a deep voice, he was at least nineteen.
   "Yeah, kid. I'm Ryan, Who's Asking?" Ryan lit the cigarette hanging from his mouth.
   "Well, hi, I- i'm Adam, Adam Perry." The boy had shaggy brown hair and was slim but not that tall.
"It's nice to meet you, Adam. Are you from around here?" Ryan wondered.
"Well I was born in San Diego but I moved here when i was four." Adam said softly smiling.
"You like Santa Monica?" Ryan was confused by the fact that Adam seemed so energetic.
"Yeah, it grew on me over time." Adam smiled, "But could I know more about you?"
"There's not much to tell man, I lost my mom that January and I lost my best friend, Parker, in that May. He was shot down in the middle of a robbery he had no action in. I lost everything I had so now I just roam and make my way, I mean what else can I do, you know?" Ryan spoke softly to contain from crying at all.
   "Well, you could come on a trip with me, to get your mind off of all of that." Adam offered.
   "You want me, to go on a trip with you? Where and when?" Ryan looked over at Adam who was now sitting next to him on the curb.
   "I don't know man, in the next week or so because I need to go see my mom, she lives in New York." Adam traced the lines in his palm.
   "I mean, do you need me to go with you, will it just be me and you?" Ryan wondered curiously.
   "Well, I would really like for you to come with me and no, I have another person coming with us if you decide to join in with us."  Adam smiled, "The other person who will join us is a good friend of mine, she lost her best friend two months ago but she's a great girl."
   "Well, what's her name?"
  "Oh yeah! Her name is Claire. You should come over tonight, I'm having a little party but it'll be just us three if you decide to show up!" Adam stood up and tightened his belt because his shorts were beginning to fall off, "well, here's my number and if you decide you want to come, call me." Adam smiled and gave Ryan the sheet of paper as he left.
---
Time progressed on and Ryan arrived back to his single bedroom apartment, slowly walking in he felt like someone was watching him. He turned to look out into the street but no one was there so he walked inside and locked the door, throwing his key's on the kitchen counter on the way to sit down on his only couch. Ryan turned on the tv and a woman on CNN stated that a storm was coming straight for the coast of California so Ryan decided to call his new friend, Adam Perry.
   "Hello?" Adam answered the phone in a curious tone, not knowing who was on the other side as thunder rumbled in the background.
   "Hey Adam, it's Ryan, from the support group earlier today. I was just calling to let you know that I do want to go with you and Claire."
   "Oh cool! I'm really glad that you're tagging along Ryan, the only problem is that we will be leaving here in the morning."
   "I was hoping it wouldn't be too far off, I've already packed." Ryan laughed uncontrollably.
   "Oh well sweet man! I'll see you in the morning! Get some good sleep." Adam sounded happy as he hung up their phone call.
---
   The next morning Ryan awoke to the sound of painful rain slamming against the window of the living room and once he decided to get up, he made his way to the kitchen to get himself a coffee. His hair was messy in every way and he wore a old Green Day shirt with black pajama pants. The coffee he fixed was black and he made his way back to his room to fall back asleep when his iPhone lit up. It was a call, from Adam Perry at three thirty a.m, he was most likely outside waiting for Ryan to get in the car. They would soon begin their journey across the country.