CHAPTER FOUR: DARKNESSvisible

The TV drama this fanfic is based on has images that shock, revolt yet entice and lure viewers into a moral paradox. *Trigger warning* Moral ambiguity, sexual and violent content, read on at your own discretion... AS xoxo

Before Katie could react, the door opened to reveal the silhouette of her mother in a long white silk diaphanous nightdress

Before Katie could react, the door opened to reveal the silhouette of her mother in a long white silk diaphanous nightdress. The golden glow of light from the hallway shone in Katie's eyes causing her to squint and blink.

"I heard voices in here," Lisa began.

"A nightmare," she feigned drowsiness by rubbing her wide eyes.

"I thought your nightmares and flashbacks were under control," her mother's face etched with concerned. "I'll speak to the CPN on duty first thing tomorrow."

"You have to be in early and are working twelve hours again. I'll call him myself."

"I wish I could spend more time with you Katie like your dad did but being a single parent means I have to do more hours if we are to make ends meet."

"I understand," Katie's words dripped with irony. She was often at home alone and had withdrawn into the online world she'd created.

"It can't be easy for you but this is the hand that life has dealt us. While I'm here, I'll put these things away for you."

"No!" Katie would have jumped out of bed but was naked beneath the sheets. Modesty won out.

"It'll only take a minute," Lisa said stepping into Katie's bedroom. She scooped the long circular peel and carried the chair that Paul had been seated on facing the bed. She dropped the tangerine peel in the waste paper basket and placed the chair where it belonged in front of the study desk on the opposite side of the room. She closed the window and bolted the latch.

"Making sure no one breaks in and strangles us in our beds," Lisa said turning to the door when she spotted the open back pack. She scooped it up from the side of the bed and was placing it by the study desk and chair when a ball of pale rope and dark masking tape spluttered onto the floor rolling away from Lisa and towards Katie's bed.

Looking inside the bag, she saw a clear cosmetic bag with scarlet lipstick and nail varnish, blush and hairbrush remained on top of the back pack.

Terrified her mother would find Paul hiding under her bed, Katie's voice raised in pitch. "Mam...I'll do that in the morning."

Lisa's hand reached under the bed, scooped up the ball of rope and dark masking tape. The tip of her fingers scrapped on the material of a winter jacket. "What are you keeping under here Katie?"

"Clothes for the charity shop. Do you think, the friendly neighbourhood strangler is hiding under my bed?"

"I worry about you young lady. Those books you read, the amount of time you spend online and now you have rope, masking tape, cosmetic bag, no one would blame me for thinking you were into some strange kink."