Looking out, she could see the figures of two guards emerging. The guards went to the couple of cells that held a prisoner and placed a tray through a slot in the bars.

When the guard reached her cell, she hung her head down, staring at the cracks that randomly lined the concrete floor. She was careful not to make a sound or any sudden movements. The guards before her were well-known for their brutality towards the inmates. She could hear a creaking sound as the guard opened up the slot in her cell and placed a tray of food onto the metal tray that was connected to it.

"Dinner," he stated blankly, closing up the slot. He stepped back, his keys hitting up against the bars. The two guards retreated back down the hall, their footsteps echoing off the walls. She listened, waiting until they had left before letting out a sigh and silently thanking whatever force that was watching from above. She picked up the tray, it was cold to the touch and was divided into three sections.

The larger section held a spoonful of mashed potatoes and some carrots on the side. She touched the carrots, watching as they broke apart under her fingers. A bread roll sat in the second section. It was still warm and soft.

She grinned, it was most likely Caleb's doing. In the small round section, a tin can was placed there. From the torn label that was stuck to the can, it looked as if someone had emptied and cleaned out a can of peas and filled it with water.

It wasn't much, but she was grateful nonetheless. Taking a bite of the bread, she looked at Reagan, watching with a smile as he greedily ate his food. She was pleased that he was eating again. In the past few weeks, he had gone through a phase. He'd refused to eat or even speak. When she tried to start a conversation, his replies would be short and detached. It seemed something changed in him.

She turned her attention towards the stones that sat in the corner of the cell. The stones were large but still small enough to fit in her hands. They were rough and uneven with jagged corners that jabbed at her skin. They had been broken off from the back cement wall, remnants of a prisoner who once attempted to escape.

Now they served a different purpose. They helped her keep track of time over the years. When the first set of guards came in to deliver their meals, she knew the day was beginning. By the time the second guard rolled around, she could tell that the day was coming to a conclusion and would place a tally mark on one of them.

Each stone held three hundred and sixty-five tally marks, one for every day of the year. The stones had been Reagan's idea, and she was glad he had come up with it. They helped keep her sanity.

"Aria", Reagan called. She turned to face him. It had been a while since she had heard him say her name. Another smile crept onto her face at the realization that the old Reagan was starting to make an appearance.

"Remember when we first met?" He asked, his eyes glazed over as he reflected upon the sudden memory. The girl, Aria, smiled, of course she remembered. It had been one of the most memorable moments of her life. The day that everything in her changed.

Reagan being four years older than her had been twelve at the time. The guards had brought him in and placed him in the cell across from her. He looked petrified, small sobs had escaped his little body while tears poured down his face.

She had tried her best to reassure him that everything would be fine but even she herself, had a hard time believing her words. After his crying died down, Reagan had introduced himself and told her his name. When it was Aria's turn she had looked down in shame. She couldn't remember hers though to be fair, she wasn't even sure she had one.

Reagan had picked up on this and even offered to give the poor girl one, in which she eagerly accepted. He told her she reminded him of a girl he had read about in one of his books. A superhero named Ariel to be exact. He had chosen to name her that but eventually decided that he liked Aria even better. Reminding him of his sister, he decided that she too would be the same age as her.