Chapter One

CHAPTER ONE

Anna

            “Anna Nicole Brown!” My dad’s angry voice bellowed throughout the house. I checked myself in the vanity one last time—long, curly red hair, green eyes accentuated by a little bit of dark makeup, light pink lipstick and foundation covering the bruise on my left jaw line. I didn’t need anyone seeing that.

Sighing, I picked up my bag and walked down the stairs where my dad was waiting at the bottom. His arms were folded, “What took you so long?”

“I was still getting ready for school,” I replied smoothly.

He rolled his eyes, “Brennan told me you ran away from him last night. Anna, I drive you to his house because he wants to see you!”

His harsh voice almost made me flinch—almost being the key word.

“Sorry,” I replied, “It won’t happen again.”

“It had better not,” He threatened before walking into the kitchen and taking a swig of beer. As silent as possible, I made my way through the front door and crept down the driveway. I turned down the sidewalk and began my daily half mile walk to school.

I sighed as I passed the park and saw a group of construction workers around a tree—a cherry tree. My stomach flipped and my heart sunk. Running over, I stepped up to one of the workers, “Excuse me, what’s going on?”

“The tree’s gotten too old so the city’s getting it torn down,” he answered.

“Exactly when are you going to tear it down?” I asked him, internally freaking out.

He gave me a weird look, “Tomorrow.”

Groaning in frustration, I turned on my heel and stormed away, making my way to school once again. I didn’t even say thank you, which was completely unlike me. Walking into school, I got everything I needed for my morning classes and slammed my locker shut.

“Whoa princess, what’s wrong?” My best friend, Natalie asked me.

Sighing, I shook my head, “They’re tearing down the cherry tree at the park tomorrow.”

“Oh, honey, I’m so sorry!” She shouted, wrapping me up in a hug.

“Thanks Nat,” I told her, “I just wish I could stop them from tearing it down.”

She raised her eyebrows as if she had an idea, “You can, actually.”

“Well you had better start explaining!” I exclaimed.

Natalie smiled, “Mr. J was talking about it in Economics yesterday, and you could start a petition. Go to city hall with at least two other people, order a petition to postpone the date they tear down the tree and then get a certain amount of signatures by a certain date!”

“We’re going to City Hall after school, alright?” I practically demanded and she laughed, but nodded nonetheless.

Our other friend, Meghan came up next to us, “What’s got you two all hyped up?”

“You’re going to City Hall with us after school,” I told her and she shrugged.

“Okay,” And Natalie laughed.

We began to walk to first period which we all had together. Even though it sucked that the class was math, but whatever.

I felt as though someone was staring at me but I shook it off. It’s not like anyone would look at plain old me.

“—and he asked me out!” Meghan squealed and I rolled my eyes at her, still smiling. Every guy wanted to ask Meghan out; she was drool worthy with her medium length blond hair, hazel eyes and a body to die for.

Natalie was also gorgeous, her petite form keeping her very skinny. She had dark auburn hair and electric blue eyes that I envied all the time.

We walked into math laughing, earning us a glare from our teacher, Ms. Kips. In our defense, she was always a grouchy person anyways.

Our friend Zach Wilson walked in and slumped in the seat in front of me. He sighed and muttered, “Never go on a date with Mindy Cossack.”

I laughed out loud, “You actually went?” I asked incredulously.

Ms. Kips glared at me and I resisted the urge to stick my tongue out at her.

Zach nodded, “I mean I didn’t wanna be a jerk and stand her up. Don’t get me wrong she’s hot and I dig that but I mean I really don’t dig chicks that talk about dogs the entire night. Something’s seriously wrong with that chick.”

Natalie and Meghan laughed with me this time, so we all received glares.

We were talking and homeroom; shoot us!

The door opened and girls stopped mid conversation to drool at the sight of the “walking sex god” as most of them call him. I rolled my eyes and shook my head as I turned back to Zach. Even Meghan and Natalie were stuck in his trance, “What’s so fantastic about him anyways?”

Zach just shook his head at me, “I think you’re the only girl who doesn’t lose their ability to speak when he walks into the room.”

“Guilty as charged,” I said, putting my hands up in mock surrender.

“How do you not find him irresistibly attractive?” Natalie asked me unbelievingly, shaking her head as well. Meghan agreed with her.

I shrugged, “I guess I just don’t like swooning over some guy’s feet.”

“You’re insane,” Meghan decided.

Natalie nodded, “She’s definitely mental, Meg.”

“Well put, Nat,” She replied and I looked to Zach, pleading for help.

“She’s alright,” Zach intervened, shrugging and winking at me.

I laughed and nudged him, “Thanks pal.”

“Anytime Ann,” He smiled. He turned around in his seat as the bell rang.  I mentally sighed as Ms. Kips began her monotone lecture on the importance of understanding the Pythagorean Theorem.

Yawn.

*slow update until I finish Lessons in Love, but that'll be soon!