Prologue

New Troy aka the largest borough in Metropolis. Here I stand in the centre of the infamous landscape, the largest and wealthiest city on Earth.

Looking around at it now I don't see Skyscrapers, the hustle and bustle of city life or even the spherical monument that is the globe atop of the Daily Planet building. All that is visible is destruction and absolute hell on earth.

Cars lay overturned and mangled on the streets, buildings have collapsed in front of my eyes and people run screaming left, right and centre. Screaming because they are scared, screaming because they can't comprehend what is happening to their home and screaming because they don't know if they will make it out alive.

Looking up into the smoke filled sky is a ship, a ship from across the stars. It's main objective to turn our world into their own. It stops for nothing, it stops for no one and it's getting closer and closer to where I remain rooted to the spot.

You'd think with all of this going on around me that I'd be running as far away from it as my feet would carry me. That I'd be following the sea of terrified citizens all darting in colliding directions just trying to get to safety, but no. I wasrooted, rooted to the spot just outside what used to be the Daily Planet.

I'm not frozen in shock and disbelief. I'm not waiting for it stop. I'm not giving up and surrendering to what seems to be a certain fate. What I am doing though is looking for someone, looking out into the war zone and praying that out of the corner of my eye I'd see him in a streak of red and blue.

To Metropolis and to the world, he is our only hope. A guardian angel sent to us from another world. To me, he is the man that I have loved since I was a little girl, the man who I had met a long time ago in a school corridor in Smallville. To me, he is Clark. To me, he is everything.

My name is Lauren Lake, and this is my story.