Chapter 26

-after date-

He walked me up to my door. The house was empty. I leaned against my door for a minute while Kyle scratched the back of his neck.

"Next weekend? Another date?" He asked putting his arm back by his side.

"Yeah, sure, that'd be great."

He leaned over and have me a quick kiss on the cheek. "Night."

I blushed and waved. "Goodnight."

He waved and turned to go back to his car. As he drove off I put my hand to my cheek and smiled. I opened my door and walked into my room, shutting the door. I leaned against the door and slid down until I was sitting on the ground. I leaned my head back and smiled laughing a little.

Tonight was great. I was falling for Kyle even more. I was wearing his hoodie right now. He gave it to me after we got out of the water because I was a little cold. It was big but I liked it. It was warm and it smelled good. I got up and grabbed my guitar. I started strumming a rhythm I had in my head. It didn't sound right so I hit different strings until I had the notes I liked. I wrote them down in my notebook next to me. I hummed a tune for the lyrics, trying to think of words to go with it. I got a few lines then my yawns became more frequent with less time between them. I crawled into bed with my T-shirt and Kyle's hoodie still on. I flicked off my lights and turned on my music. For once, I wasn't lying awake with thoughts running through my mind.

-next morning-

I woke up but didn't really want to get up. I rolled over and buried my head into the covers and tried to get back to sleep. It didn't last long because I heard a voice from downstairs. A voice I always dreaded. My dad. "Skylar! Where the hell is breakfast?! Get the hell up!"

I jumped out of bed and threw on some sleep shorts. I ran downstairs. "Sorry dad." I mumbled. I looked down at my feet.

"Whatever." I felt a slap on my right cheek and my face jerked with his hand. "Just get in the kitchen and make me some damn breakfast."

I nodded and walked in grabbing two slices of bread and put them in the toaster. I cracked three eggs and started scrambling them. I buttered the toast while the eggs finished up. I put it all on a plate and put it in front of my dad. I went back in the kitchen and made a glass of orange juice putting that in front of him as well. I went back upstairs and plopped on my bed. Well today was going to be boring unless I left the house but considering the fact that my dads here, I probably should stay. Oh well, I'll make the best of it. I grabbed my notebook and guitar laying them both on my bed.

I absentmindedly started finger picking this rhythm I learned. It had become a habit for me because I'd had it memorized for quite some time. I added more to the stuff I wrote yesterday until I had the song completely finished song.

I heard a door slam shut. My dad. He's probably going to his girlfriends. Who knew when he'd be back again. I walked out of my room and went over to my dads to see if he had his alcohol stash still. The room was empty though. Of his stuff at least. His clothes. The little decorations he had. His toothbrush and such. The suitcases normally kept under his bed were missing. Well that's just great. Guess dad decided to move out. "Thanks for telling me, pops," I mumbled. Well I guess it's a kinda good thing. I have the house to myself. I'm alone. I'm used to that. I'm alone. I can't live on my own. I'm 16. I'm alone. I don't have to be around my dad anymore. Unless he comes back. His relationship probably won't last forever. Especially if his girl finds out he's hiding a kid. Lies can destroy relationships. Just like I'm lying to Kyle. If he knew all my secrets he'd leave me for sure. I don't want him to though. My dads gone. I need him. I need someone to keep me from driving myself mad in this silence of an empty house. I don't notice the silence as much right now because my mind is buzzing with thoughts. Maybe I should come clean to Kyle. At least a little. Maybe if I just say a small amount of my secrets he wouldn't leave. But how do I open up? I haven't opened up in so long. Could I even do it? Did I want to? Yes. No. Maybe. I felt something when he kissed me. Not fireworks. Not butterflies. I just felt a shortness of breath. And a feeling that in that moment, it would be fine for a short time. I didn't feel like my problems would just instantaneously disappear but I knew that I was genuinely happy. The smile my lips formed wasn't forced or fake. It was a feeling that scared me.

----------

Sorry it's later than usual. I just got back from our homecoming game. I think this guy might ask me out to but at the same time I really doubt it anyway my personal life isn't that important. Thanks for reading!