eight

A loud knock on my apartment door woke me up from my deep slumber. I slowly rose out of bed as the knocks didn't falter. I checked the time on my alarm clock; 3;15 am.

"Tati!" I ran to the front door upon hearing him say my name through the door, recognising his voice immediately.

I swung the door open. "Matty, what's wrong?!" I roughly pulled him inside by his arm.

"Hey, love." He pulled me into a tight hug, snuggling his face into the crook of my neck and tangling his hand in my hair. I could smell the alcohol radiating off his body.

I moan in frustration, feeling like I was still half-asleep. "You're so drunk, Matty. Come to bed with me." I pull him gently off my body.

"Mmmh." He mumbled, taking his leather jacket off, letting it fall to the floor before I took him to my bedroom. He flops onto my mattress. I cover him with the sheets before taking a getting next to him, leaning my back against the wooden bed frame, deciding I wouldn't be able to fall back into sleep right away.

I run my fingers through his curly hair as his eyes fluttered closed. "Why are you here?" I said softly.

"I wanted to see you." He said with his eyes shut, but a cheeky smile on his face.

"You woke me up, you asshole." I told him with a hint of anger in my voice.

"Yeah, yeah." He grabbed onto my body and tried to pull me into him.

"Stop." I pushed off his shoulder.

He gave up, putting his arm back underneath his face. He looked up at me. "You should come out with me more often. You should have more fun, Tati."

"You should stop going out so much."

He groaned, "Shut up."

I pushed his shoulder in anger and got up from the bed, closing the bedroom door harshly behind me. I walked over to Matty's jacket that was crumpled in the middle of the floor. As I picked it up, a tiny zip-lock bag fluttered slowly onto the ground. I bent down and pinched it between my fingers, lifting it up to my face and inspecting it closely. The plastic was clouded with remnants of white powder. I knew exactly what it was.

I marched back to my room, swinging the door open and shaking Matty roughly until he woke up.

"Argh, what?" He grumbled, rubbing his eyes.

I held up the little plastic bag, "You're a fucking asshole."

He sunk his head further into the pillow and sighed, rubbing his hand over his face. "I'm sorry, Tati."

"Why didn't you tell me?" I punched him in the arm.

He flinched, "Because I knew you'd be upset, like you are now." I glared at him. "I can't help it." I shook my head in disbelief at his words. "Please, Tati. We can talk about this in the morning. Just come to bed. Please."

I walked out the room, sitting on the small couch in front of the television. I wasn't sure how long I sat there that night. The sky was turning into a light navy colour from its original black when I decided to give in and head to my bedroom. Matty was still awake when I got under the covers. He looked at me before I turned my back to him, closing my eyes.

"I'm sorry." He whispered.

"Tati, can you take her upstairs please. I need to get the platters sorted." Before I could reply, Ivy shoved baby Kristina into my arms. She raced off into the kitchen, as quickly as she could in her towering heels. I looked down to the red-faced baby in my arms, she was screeching at the top of her lungs with her gums on full display. I groaned internally heading towards the starts. Just as I was about to take my first step onto the stairs, the doorbell rang. Perfect timing, I thought.