Chapter 10: Acceptance

Echo held Verna while she cried, it had been over 10 minutes of her sobbing. Echo patiently rubbed her back, Suzuko sliding from the bed and running towards Dreamer. Dreamer watched her with interest, she grinned up at him and motioned for him to pick her up. He easily scooped her into his arms and she cupped her hands around his ears whispering harshly.
"She's gonna be ok don't worry! Just be patient. It takes time for people to heal, she will open up to you soon don't give up on her. After all," she grins covering her mouth in a giggle "she's your mate" Suzuko wiggles from his grip leaving a stunned Dreamer watching her run back to her mother.
"She's decided she wants to be a psychiatrist, we've been researching and ordering books" Echo chuckles, she looks at Verna with a grin "she's decided it so she can help you as well as the new species, you probably aren't aware of their past but it's very similar to yours" Verna looked up with a curious expression.
"Really?" Her voice was soft.
"Yeah, I'm surprised no one told you about it" her eyes flickered to dreamer "I guess they wanted to wait a little while, well they were experimented on as children by a pharmaceutical company-"
"Darkness told me that" Verna chirped.
"Really? Darkness told you that" she paused "that's surprising, I've met him a few times but he doesn't seem like the type to open up. His mate seemed to have made him open up a bit, is good for him" she grins.
"Mate?" Verna looked at her in confusion, it dawned to echo that this girl knew absolutely nothing about new species.
"Yes mate, it's like marriage only a stronger bond. You see I am mates to a primate names Jericho, and while he seems scary he's a giant sweetheart" Dreamer scoffed at Echo's words, none of the males here were teddy bears. Only towards their mates and children they could be considered 'sweet'.
'Mates? Of course they use that term for animals' Verna tried to push the voice in the back of her mind, she liked the new species.
"Mommy" Suzuko chirped trying to get her attention, Echo turned to watch her daughter with a questions look pushing her to continue "I don't want her to go back to that place" Suzuko's voice was soft as she glances at Verna with a concerned look. It was true, she worried about Verna and wished that she never had to go back through that hell, it was something that no one should ever have to go through.
"She won't" Echo frowns, she had taken a liking to the fearful woman it reminded her of herself when she was younger. Always running away, nothing to lose but her own dignity.
Verna turned to look at Suzuko with a small smile, her eyes were red as she silently thanked the girl in front of her.
'Too bad she's gonna die' the voice giggles, it was strange to hear the manly cackling voice in her head giggle. What did he mean by she was going to die? Verna froze thinking about the mess she made when she was younger, almost killing her parents. Fear gripped her heart, what if she was going to kill suzuko?
'You won't kill her' the soft sweet voice coo's trying to calm her down, how Verna missed the soft voice of reason in her mind. But those damned pills would block out the only voice that had ever kept her sane, a guardian angel if you will.
'Ohhhhh yesss she will!' The voice cackles, Verna resisted the urge to pound her fist into her skull to shut the voices up.
They didn't stop, the bad voice always spoke more. It always taunted her more and made her want to scream, she couldn't take it Verna stood and ran to dreamer ripping the pills from his hands and pushing as many as she could into her mouth and down her throat. Echo said they would work, Echo told her they would make her normal; make the voices stop. Screaming was heard from behind her, dreamer gripped her face prying her mouth open to no avail. Verna had already swallowed too many pills, she could hear Echo screaming for Dreamer to make her vomit. She wondered why, then the pills wouldn't take affect right? She felt his large finger push into her mouth and down her throat hitting her gag reflex, bile rose in her throat. She heaved, staining Dreamers shirt with vomit. Verna couldn't feel, she didn't understand.
'I wonder, how crazy do you have to be for them to send you back?' It Echoed in her mind, the voice was loud and made so she couldn't hear anything else. All she felt was Dreamers strong arms hold her as she passed out.