Chapter 20: Mixed emotions

Start from the beginning

Grant nods. "Sure. How about I go get us some drinks and we meet back here?" He suggests and I nod, turning away before he could say anything else.

I know I seem really rude, but I couldn't be bothered to stay and try to mingle with him. Finding my dad was only an excuse so I could go search for Justin. The tension between us was quite clear to everyone in my family, but no one asked about it.

Dad and the two other doctors are aware of Justin's dislike to Grant and most people anyway. 

"Ms Beatrice," A hand grabs onto my arm before I can make it to one of the private rooms where Justin must be. I don't recognize this voice.

Turning, I come face to face with one of the doctors who've I seen many times before in our house and on the news. I've never actually talked to any of the doctors beside my dad. The other two were always watching from a safe distance, whispering between themselves.

"Dr Terrenlot," I glup, taking a step back. The woman with dark hair stares at me with curiosity in her dark brown eyes. "Were you about to go in there?"

"Yes... I'm looking for my dad." 

"He's talking with a few people out by the entrance." She pauses, arching an eyebrow. "Were you looking for the test subject?" She says with a harsh tone, clearly unamused.

"Test subject?" I repeat the words she just said in shock. Were they really calling Justin a 'test subject'? What the hell?

She merely just rolls her eyes, completely disregarding my words. "I'm afraid you can't go in there." She crosses her arms over her chest.

I open my mouth to argue when a new voice pipes in. "Is there a problem here?" 

We both turn to come face to face with Doctor Ramone, a tall man with dirty blonde hair and a beard. My dad and Jennifer are now by his side, watching us. "Not at all," Doctor Terrenlot scoffs, moving past me. 

"Good." Dad comments, pushing past them to me. He places a hand on my shoulder, squeezing it. "It's time. Wish me luck." He smiles and I nervously nod back, mumbling a few words before Jennifer leads me back to the crowd.

We sit with Noah and Grant, who was now waiting with two drinks in hand. I take the drink from him, thanking him politely before sitting down at our table. Jamie and Hayden arrive as well, sitting at our table with their parents.

Jamie leans over to me. "You okay?" She asks. She's somewhat aware about my friendship with Justin. 

"Fine."  I mumble, looking down at my lap. I'm still thinking about the conversation I had with that unpleasant woman. Her words had surprised me completely and I hated the way she called Justin some sort of test subject. 

He's a human being, no matter where he grew up.

Suddenly, someone speaking in the microphone, brings me out of my thoughts. "Welcome everyone to tonights event. On the behalf of Doctor Ramone, Doctor Terrenlot and I, I appreciate all of you being here." My dad says, looking at the crowd.

"But tonight isn't just about us. Tonight, we are here to celebrate Justin Bieber's three month anniversary from being saved from the jungle. I'm happy to say that he's adjusted comfortably and learned a lot since his first day from the help of Mr Lawfeld and my daughter," Dad pauses to look right at me.

I looked down at my drink, feeling everyone's eyes on me as they looked to see who my dad, Doctor Ashby, was talking about. 

"I'd like to thank everyone again for coming out tonight to join us this evening and now, I'd like to introduce you all to Justin."