15

A/N: thank you so much for 1k reads !!! i was so happy to check and see that wonderful little k sitting there. i hope everyone is enjoying the story so far ! i promise everything ends up happy.......eventually.... anyways please leave comments and remember to vote !! thank you again !

The chill I felt when I woke up went down to my bones, my toes numb despite being beneath the covers. I stayed underneath the blankets far too long, the honk of (y/n)'s car outside forcing me to change into a wrinkled uniform, wordlessly stumbling into the passenger seat. My head was hazy, not quite awake even as the cool morning air kissed my skin through the crack of the window. Minutes of silence passed and I made no effort to break it; I knew if she asked what was wrong I would have to lie and I didn't have it in me anymore, or at least I thought.

"Everything okay? You seem really out of it, babe," she said, pressing the back of her hand on my cheek. I slumped even deeper into the seat, my mind already forming a lie before I had time to feel guilty about it.

"I had to stay up late studying last night," I realize how weak of an excuse it is and the look of obvious suspicion on her face says that she sees right through me. She takes a moment to collect her thoughts as she pulls into the parking lot. Practice doesn't officially start for another seven minutes according to the car's clock so I decide to stay put.

"Koushi," she faces me, her eyes looking deep in the early morning light. I swallow, my worst fears playing out before my eyes.

"Koushi, you've been scaring me lately," she says, her voice hardly above a whisper. "You're like a different person. I know you're hiding something from me and it's like you think I haven't noticed- like you think I'm stupid."

"I don't think you're stupid," I mumble, refusing to return her gaze. Even without looking though, I can sense she's getting pissed, her eyes burning holes through me.

"Koushi, I'm trying so hard to believe in you but, but-" she hiccups a sob away and the sound shoots through my heart, opening up my wound that has yet to scab over. I stay silent, my eyes carefully trained on the glove compartment in front of me. A few beats of silence painfully pass.

"Fucking say something," her voice cracks as she slumps over the steering wheel, her crying strained and quiet unlike the usual dramatic sobs. For some reason I remain mute, the lump in my throat in the way of any words I might want to say.

"Please," her voice is thick with tears and I find myself collecting my things on the floor in front of me, my body carrying me away. Before I open the door I allow myself a glance and her head is turned directly towards me. Her face is contorted in pain as she barely holds herself up on the wheel, her body shaking the slightest. She squeezes her eyes shut, tears dripping down her jaw and throat as she opens them again.

A strangled sound tries to come out of my lips but nothing coherent is formed. I push the door open and shut it behind me; her eyes stick to me like glue as I walk away and I can't tear my own eyes from her shivering figure. It's the final day of September and the chill of the wind cuts through me as (y/n) eventually fades out of sight.

-

(Y/n)'s car sat parked in front of my house when I got home. The sight sent mixed emotions; I knew it was either a confession or an end. The three-letter word was vile in even just my thoughts.

End. We aren't supposed to have an end, I thought. We're forever.

I felt numb as I realized the car was empty. Neither of my parents' cars sat in the driveway and I wondered exactly where (y/n) was, my heart beginning to pound. I decided to take a walk around the house before I entered and was surprised to see a familiar form huddled on the back stairs. Her head shot up at the sound of my footsteps and the look in her eyes was nothing short of dead.