Chapter Fourteen: Jason Grace

Dedicated to @Cottoncandycat87 for first vote and @321uyi for first comment!

The next morning, Will felt like he was on top of the world.

He glanced at the small dark figure next to him.

"Morning, Nico." His voice failed to rouse him, so he planted his lips on Nico's instead.

Nico stirred and stretched.

They hadn't done anything, just a lot of kissing and talking. Will found that he liked the kissing better. Also, Nico without a shirt was really hot.

Will shrugged on his own shirt and kissed Nico again, a sweet morning kiss.

Nico rubbed his eyes. "I love you."

Will's heart soared whenever he heard those words. "I know."

Nico glared at him. "You did not just pull a Princess Leia on me."

Will smirked. "'Course not, Solo."

Nico sighed and pulled his shirt on. Will was slightly disappointed.

The doorbell rang and Nico and Will both jumped. Nico pushed his hair over his neck and Will did the same. They were both in sweatpants, Will realized, Nico wearing his favorites. They also had bed hair, which could easily be mistaken as-

Will pushed Nico back onto the bed. "Stay. I'll deal with it."

Nico pulled a face. "My hero," he said dryly.

Will took the stairs two at a time, flattening his hair as best he could. He opened the door to find Jason Grace on the doorstep, covered in snow and tears streaming down his cheeks.

Will froze. Jason Grace was on his doorstep. Will had never been an outcast, but he certainly wasn't in the same popularity circle as Jason.

"I was hoping you could help me," Jason said, wiping away a tear. "I know we're not friends, and I've never said a word to you, but your dad's the town medical examiner."

"So?" Will asked, poised to slam the door.

"My sister was murdered last night." With these words, Jason started crying again. His sobs were silent, but he shook like a leaf.

"Oh." Will felt bad for wanting to slam the door. "Why don't you come in? I have a guest, but-"

"It's fine if Nico hears," Jason said.

Will could have been knocked over with a breeze. "You- you know?!"

Jason chucked through his tears. "Yeah. Don't worry, I haven't told anyone. Reyna told me."

"I'll kill her," Will mumbled, and gasped. He raised his head. "Sorry."

Jason's lip quivered. "It's okay."

"I'll make you some coffee," Will said, guiding Jason over to his couch and seating him down. "Dya mind telling me what happened?"

"Sure." Jason hiccupped. "She was at the archery range. The school has an archery team, the Hunters, and Thalia is – was- the captain. She got stabbed with an arrow. If your dad could look at her, I- I would appreciate it forever."

"I'm training to be a doctor," Will said, handing Jason a mug of steaming coffee. Jason took a sip, heedless of the heat. "We wouldn't have to bother my dad. Do you know where she is?"

"Morgue," Jason sniffled. "But no one's allowed in. The police are dismissing it as an accident. They say she was getting her arrows and she was holding one the wrong way. She tripped and impaled herself. But Thalia was a perfect archer. She would never have made that mistake."

"Jason..." Will chose his words carefully. "Are you sure it wasn't an accident?"

"No!" Jason put the mug on the coffee table. "She's not that stupid. Don't you see? The pattern of kids who've been killed: they were all older siblings."

"It could be a coincidence," Will countered, but a story from long ago welled up in his mind.

"Please," Jason begged, beginning to cry again. "She was the only family I had. I need to know."

Will's chest hurt and tears pricked his eyes too. "Fine."

Jason's head lifted. "Really?" Hope rose in his voice.

"Yes," Will said. "I'll find who killed your sister."

Sorry.