Chapter Ten: A Sudden Death

Dedicated to phantasticdarkangelo for first vote and comment!

Will blinked at the door where Nico had left.

"Well, fine!" he hollered at the door. "It's not like I enjoyed it!"

Which was a lie. Will kept reliving it in his mind, hoping that it was real.

But he knew that no one could know about it. So he plugged his headphones into his laptop and set his mind to choosing the perfect song (which turned out to be See You Again by Wiz Kahlifa).

***

The next day was Monday, which meant school. Will's mother was puzzled by his refusal to wash his face, but she let it go.

The school was slightly muted and apathetic. Will had no idea why, until the announcements, that is.

"Yesterday," boomed the principal before he even said the date. "Yesterday, we lost one of our best students. Castor Rhine was shot and killed outside of the L. Castellan Library. This will be the second shooting in our otherwise quiet town. Let us all take a moment of silence to honor Castor's memory."

Will didn't need the principal to tell him to be quiet. He was struck dumb. Castor was, no, had been, a nice kid. His most distinguishing feature had been his violet eyes. His brother Pollux must have been broken-hearted.

"It is November 16th and Latin Club meets today..."

Will couldn't understand. Castor had been really nice. Why would anyone want to kill him?

After school, Will walked down his street to clear his thoughts. He wasn't aware that his subconscious was leading him to the awful bloodstain outside the library.

On a whim, he went to the back of the library. It was disgusting back there, all broken pencils and oily trash. But there was someone back there with him.

Maybe it was the subtle tingling of his lips or the he-lost-a-sibling-too feeling, but Will had expected Nico to be sitting on the opposite side a Dumpster and there he was.

"If you're my psychiatrist, I'll punch you," Nico muttered.

"You have a psychiatrist?" Will sat down next to him.

"That's none of your business." Nico balled up an empty chip bag and threw it. "I had a flashback to when Bianca died. I ran away from school and came here."

Will raised his hands, as if in surrender. "Hey, I don't judge. I used to skip school to visit my dad."

"That's different," said Nico. "He's still alive."

Will's mind started to race. This kid needs someone to rely on. As far as I can tell, he doesn't have any family or friends. The bruises and cuts look like they were from a beating. Who hurts him if he doesn't have family?

"Umm," began Will tentatively. "Would you like to come over to my house and watch a movie? My mom's shift ends at five. It's only two-thirty."

Nico raised his head slightly. "Even after I kissed you?"

Will grinned. "I believe in second chances and I don't think that you've had your first yet."

Heyheyhey! I'm live and kicking! (Unlike some people lmao) So how is it? You like? What movie do you think they'll watch? See ya later!