Day 29

The day was a modest one. Not a day out of a gaudy-covered romance novel, but a day out of real life.

Blue skies, gray pavement.

I was holding a toothpick in my mouth like a talented baton twirler. It swiveled up and over, brushing the corners of my lips and digging itself further in between my bottom teeth. The toothpick was on the second trip up to the space between my nose and lips when she walked past.

She wore jeans and a sweatshirt. In her arms was a brown paper bag of assorted groceries.

Her hair whipped around her face. Her eyes were glued to the ground, but I could still see they were a brilliant blue.

Boss slammed a meaty hand on the back, breaking my pleasant reverie. The toothpick shot from my mouth, plinking against the glass barrier separating Porto's from the real cement world outside.

"Why, I oughta put blinds on these here windows because they sure are proving to be a distraction, huh?"

The girl's eyes glanced up at the window as my toothpick hit it. I caught her gaze, her attention, and in a split second it was gone.

She walked away.

"I said, am I right,boy?"

Woman like that are the reason I work in Porto's. It's like reverse window shopping.

"Yes, sir."