Chapter 10

Chapter 10

A sharp shriek startled Artemis upon his entrance into Zoey's guest room. She was in the bed with the covers pulled up to her chin and her terrified eyes peeping over the top of the sheets, eyeing him warily as if he would reach forth and murder her violently at any moment.

"No, please don't hurt me. Please!" Zoey pleaded to Artemis. He took a step forth into the room and she scrambled under the blankets completley, wailing like a frightened animal the entire time. "No! NOO!" She cried from underneath the covers.

"I'm not going to hurt you. I just want to talk to you." Artemis said soothingly to her, taking another cautious step forward to her. She gave a loud shriek and scrambled out from underneath the blankets. She threw them off of her like they had been attacking her and backed herself against the back frame of the bed. She looked as though she were cornered by vicious pitbulls that were about to devour her.

"THAT HURTS! OWWWWW!! STOP! No more needles!" She sobbed with her hands covering her eyes. "Please. Not in my eyes! NOO!!" A sharp scream rattled the windowpanes of the room, and Artemis understood what Butler had meant when he said that Zoey's dreams weren't exactly nightmares anymore.

"I don't have any needles. I'm here to help you." Artemis assured her with palms facing up and held out to her, showing that he had nothing that would ever hurt her in his posession. Zoey threw her head over the side of the bed and puked blood all over the exquisite carpet in response, causing Artemis to stagger backwards and gasp. There was no way that Raven could have done something so drastic to her that would make her vomit blood and only blood. There was definetely something wrong.

Zoey pulled herself back onto the bed and collapsed backwards muttering, "No. No. No no no no no. Please don't hurt me." over and over again in her exhasted, hallucianating state.

"Your mind and your body can't tell the difference between your dreams and reality..." Artemis whispered softly. Zoey gently turned to face Artemis, who had raced to her bedside when he heard his name being hoarsley called for. Her hair was plastered back from her face by freezing cold sweat and her blue black eyes were glassy and rigid, not to mention moist from crying so much.

"Artemis, please help me. They want to cut off my ears to make room for more technology. Make them stop please!" She cried, and then reached out and pointed a finger over Artemis' shoulder, as if there was a person behind him that wished to hurt her. Artemis didn't turn around to see the imaginary villan that Zoey had created in her head.

"I will. I will talk to them." He told her half-heartedly, falling to pieces inside himself as he watched the girl slowly becoming insane.

"Thank you. They've gone away now. I'm safe." Zoey said with a relieved sigh. A solitary tear trailed down her cheek and dropped to the bed, and Artemis had to push back the want to cry with her. "I'm so afraid." She whispered quietly.

"I know. I am too." Artemis replied. Zoey lifted up her head and looked directly into Artemis' blue eyes, now glistening from pity tears.

"But we're not afraid of the same thing, are we?" She asked him.

"No, at least I don't think so." Artemis answered. Zoey sighed again and fell backwards onto the bed. Artemis gathered up the bed sheets neatly and laid them over her again. He asked if that was what she wanted, and she didn't answer. She simply stared directly above her at the ceiling. After a prolonged silence, she nodded a few times and turned her head to face Artemis again.

"I know much more than I did before now. I can tell you if you want me to." She said to him. Artemis nodded back at her.

"I would like you to tell me all you can remember." He said.