chapter 5

Chapter 5

Holly, naturally, was waiting outside the door to the guest room, prepared to recieve any information on how the girl was doing. No doubt that she had supressed her curious nature and her urge to eavesdrop and was aching for any knowledge Artemis had obtained while talking to the girl, if he had talked to her at all...

"How did it go?" She asked Artemis casually upon his exiting of the room. "Did she open up to you?" Artemis closed the door behind him and looked at the wall on the opposite side of the hall, in a sort of daze. He didn't look over at Holly once, but he was sure that she was watching his every expression with her thoughtful amber eyes.

"She's very... interesting." Artemis answered, at a complete loss for any other adjective to describe Zoey.

"Interesting? That's how you describe her?" Even Holly had to be skeptical at Artemis' lack of vocabulary. He had to delve further into his analysis of the girl to express his feelings about her.

"She has a way of looking at things, at life. I don't have words to describe it. She is expressive and imaginative. I very much like her." Artemis admitted, which earned him a sly grin from Holly.

"Oh, I see..." She replied. Artemis' eyes widened and he hurried to correct his first choice of words.

"No, not like that! She's just... different." Artemis explained. Holly was unconvinced.

"I beg to differ. I saw the way she looked at you. She's beginning to trust you. She likes you, Artemis." He said while eyeing the Mud Boy for any other facial expressions that would hint at his opinion of the girl. It had been a big day for him emotion-wise. Artemis expertly hardened his features into one big, emotionless stance and he formally replied to Holly,

"Well, that doesn't matter. She's going to be mind-wiped as soon as we catch whoever did this to her, you said so yourself." Holly sighed in defeat, accepting that she wasn't going to get anywhere questioning Artemis like this and relented.

Yes, I did. Very well then if that's what you think is best." She said to him. Artemis said nothing back to her, so Holly wasn't sure if he did think that it was for the best. "Do you think it is?" She asked him, which only amounted to more silence. He was either formulating a plan or was purposfully ignoring Holly. She was annoyed either way and turned her back to him in search of Butler. He would appreciate her information. "I'll leave you to your damsel." She mumbled under her breath as she stalked away angrily. Artemis simply sighed and tried thinking of ways to describe Zoey and how she flabbergasted him so, but he could think of nothing...