Chapter 11

Chapter 11

"How is she?" Holly asked upon entering the study. Artemis acknoledged her arrival with a nod of his tired head. Holly saw how exhasted both Artemis and Butler were, their eyes had dark rings about them and the way they dragged their bodies indicated that they were fighting against sleep because they really cared about this girl.

"She is asleep." Artemis replied with a touch of envy. "We are using my mother's medication. I'm afraid that she has gone insane from whatever Raven did to her."

"It's much more than insane. It's real." Butler objected, and Artemis nodded in agreement. Butler turned to Holly and started to explain Zoey's nightmares. "It's like her dreams are affecting her in reality, I've never seen anything like it before."

"Oh that poor girl." Holly cooed sympathetically while staring at the high-quality picture of Zoey's unconcious form and holding her hand to her heart.

"What have you gathered about her?" Artemis asked, thus ending the touchy-feely moment. This was not the time to feel pity for Zoey, this was the time to help her by keeping her alive and finding her demented and unstable captor.

"Well, I don't actually know how to put this gently..." Holly hesitated to reply. Artemis became somewhat annoyed; for Zoey to survive they needed to know everything that they happened to gather about her: disorders, allergies, anything out of the ordinary that might have been causing her distress or might have led to Trevor Raven himself.

"Just say it!" He snapped at her. "It's important that we know everything that there is to know about her, every little thing!"

"Are you sure?" Holly asked both Artemis and Butler. It never occured to Artemis that Holly had been talking to Butler as well, as if what she was about to tell them would affect him the most.

"Yes." Butler answered for himself. Holly sighed relentedly and handed Butler an official looking folder. It was Zoey's DNA test.

"We ran a DNA scan on a piece of hair that I got from her, we scanned pretty much every living person on and under the earth... but we only came up with one match." Holly explained to the two. Artemis, who was towered over by Butler and could not read the piece of paper which he was holding impatiently asked her,

"Who?"

"It's Butler." She replied hastily, though Butler had already figured it out for himself and was staring at the paper in his hands in disbelief.

"Well..." Artemis began to say. "In all honesty this clears a lot of things up now. Is he a distant relative or-"

"We think that he's the father." Holly informed him. "The DNA is a close match. Hard to argue with, we even did a second scan. Same results."

"And the mother?" Artemis prompted, getting an earnest shrug in reply from Holly.

"We only tested for the living. That would mean either she's dead or she's dropped completley off the face of the earth..." she answered. She might have turned around to comfort Butler, but he was still staring at the DNA scan results as if he'd never seen such a thing in his lifetime.

"Oh. Well then, congratulations old friend. It's a girl." Artemis said jokingly, though it certainly was not a joking matter. Butler didn't look up from the results of the DNA test or acknowledge anyone else in the room but that paper that he continued to hold in his hands.

"I have a daughter..." He said aloud to himself.

"I don't know if this Raven man planned all of this on purpose, or if it was just by chance that he's using your daughter as a guinea pig, but I do know that what he is doing is wrong on many levels and I will help you as much as I can to set this right." Holly promised Butler, who nodded solemnly and stared straight ahead of him, feeling a much stronger dislike of Dr. Raven than ever before. "What's her name?" Holly asked Butler, but he was still busy processing the suddenness of the news and possibly still further developing his burning hatred for Trevor Raven so he didn't even realize that she had spoken. Artemis answered for him.

"Her name is Zoey, well, um... Olivia." Artemis corrected himself. "She remembers much more about what happened before she showed up here. She remembers her life." Holly took another long look at the screen which showed her fast asleep in her guest room then turned to look Artemis directly in his blue eye and one of her own swapped hazel eyes. They looked exhausted. 

"Not that it will important if we don't trace this clip soon." She reminded the sleep-deprived mastermind. The statement made Butler snap out of his trance-like state and he forced himself back into reality.

"You're right." He said. "Where's Foaly?"

"Here." The centaur whinnied, clip-clopping into the room casually. Artemis would have found the  unexpected entrace funny had a life not been on the line. Foaly pointed an hairy finger at the teenage prodigy that he had yet to fully trust. "You owe us this time Fowl." He said to Artemis.

"This involves you too." Artemis informed Foaly. "When she arrived, there was an LEP tracker behind her ear." Foaly looked shocked beyond belief to hear that someone had gotten hold of his precious technology without his knowing.

"What? How did this happen?" He asked incrediously.

"Koboi?" Holly guessed, but Artemis shook his head at her.

"No. Opal's locked away for good. It's a man, Trevor Raven. I couldn't find a single bit of information about him." He told them all that he knew about Dr. Raven. Foaly nodded once at Artemis to end their conversation abrubtly.

"Alright. Take me to the girl."