A Changed Man

Miranda's pov

I wake up alone and confused. I get to school and there he stands outside the school, his hands shaking. "Jason, are you okay?" I ask worriedly, running over. He shakes his head wide eyed. "What's wrong?" "I can't..... I can't do this anymore." "Can't do what?" "I don't... I can't be here. My family.... Thry look at me like I'm some sort of monster.... I-I've got an uncontrollable temper and I blow up all the time.... I.... I've gotta go." "Go where? Talk to me Jason!" He finally looks up, meeting my eyes, tears in them. "Jason-" "I love you. Don't forget that." "I-I won't." He kisses me hard, his hand on my cheek. "W-What's gonna happen?" I whisper, shakily, staring at him. "I-I don't know. But I have to leave..... For a while." He hugs me tight then leaves.

Jason's pov

I go to the base and sit down. I can't keep pretending. "Hey thought I'd find you here." My eyes go wide. I spin around, my knife in my hand. "Cory?" I gape, shakily stepping back. He smiles. "After the base fell, I went back home just like you.... But.... I didn't have any home to go to. You do.... And they'll love you even if you're a little messed up." He chuckles softly when he says that. "C-Cory.... Why.... Do you care?" He looks away. "I don't. This is where I live and you're blocking the entrance." He lies. I smile. "Yes you do." I wipe the tears that have been rolling down my cheeks. "Hey Cory.... You uh..... You wanna join my family for dinner." He looks back at me shocked. 'R-Really? I thought you hated me!" I walk over and hug him. His body stiffens. "What? You've never been hugged before?" I ask, remembering this happening between me and my girlfriend. "N-Not genuinely." I smile. That was my exact response. "Well... Cory this is genuine."

*later*

Me and Cory were playing video games. Him kicking my ass when my bedroom door opens. "Mom didn't I say knock?" "Jason?" I hit pause. My girl. I shakily stand up. "H-Hey hun." She's got tears in her eyes. "I..... What's going on?" "Um.... Cory convinced me I've gotta get over my fears. I've got people who love me and who are scared for me..... So I'm stayin' home." She smiles and wipes her eyes. Her ring, the promise ring I gave her, flashes in the light. I shakily walk over and hug her tight. "Don't ever leave me." She whispers, her face in my neck. "I promise I'll never leave you. I love you." "I love you too."