Chapter 2: Twice The Unexpected

I sat peacefully for a long time and listened to the blissful sounds of My Chemical Romance echoing around the Arena. It must’ve have been two hours or so, because the music had changed from ‘The Black Parade’ songs to the older songs meaning the show was coming to close.

I heard the distinguishable cries of Gerard telling everyone that they had finished and ‘thank you everyone for coming’. I got up slightly sleepily and wandered down the path, the opposite way to the exit, not wanting to be met with hundreds of satisfied fans after I had come so close to see them.

After a good hour of slow, aimless wandering, I found in front, blocking the path, an iron rung fence and I swore silently under my breath. There was a gate made of the same ugly iron built within the fence, but it was probably locked. Noticing another ‘duplicate’ bench, I decided to re-enact the events of the last few hours, by sitting on the bench and staring up at the blackness of the sky, pitying myself. 

The sky looked very peacefully all the way up there, only a few stars were visible, but they were shining brightly, as if they were smiling down at me, or pitying me too. I returned their kind favour and smiled back up in fake happiness. My eyes were sucked into the darkness above and I tilted my head back further, so I could stare in awe.

I was startled out of my staring competition with the night sky, when a side door opened on the other side of the fence, which I hadn’t noticed until it had shot out of it’s hiding place. A figure stepped out into the gloom, bringing a little light from the Arena out with them. They seemed to be male, of a medium height, with dark hair – Although in the already dim surroundings it was hard to tell the difference. He walked slowly out of the door way full and went to lean against the door. 

A soft, orange glow surround his hands as he brought them close to his face, illuminating his pale face so I could get a better look. When he removed them, smoke rose silently from the lit cigarette which had been placed in his mouth.

He walked a little further away from the door, and a out-light sprung into life, surprising him as it shone it’s harsh bright beam right into his eyes. He held his hand up away from his face to shield his unprotected eyes.

With the new light brightening the surrounds considerably, I was able to get a better look at the mysterious man on the other side of the fence. In fact he wasn’t mysterious at all. It was Gerard Way. That I could tell very clearly now that the light was able to aid me, his dark, messy hair and ‘Black Parade’ jacket slung over his shoulder casually.

He was only 30m or so away from my bench, luckily it was still dark on ‘my side’, so he couldn’t see me and freak out. Thinking I was a ‘crazy fan’. For some reason seeing him so close up brought back all the emotion from earlier. A felt a warm, salty tear run smoothly down my freezing cheek, causing the skin to burn under the temperature change maliciously.

As the tears became more frequent and heavy, the ‘sob moans’ started. They were abnormally loud, perhaps it was all that stored in emotion. I tried to silence myself, feeling embarrassed but it was no good. My body wouldn’t react the way I wanted it to. In desperation, I clasped an icy hand over my mouth, muffling the sobs. I held my breath and look at my shaking knees. ‘I think I’ve gotten’ away with it’ my racing mind thought.

“Are you alright?” The three words spoken out loud startled me out of my thoughts and into reality. I looked up and immediately looked back down, my knees knocking together even more furiously. I decided to not reply.

“You okay?” The voice asked again. I looked up for a second time and was faced with the staring face of Gerard Way. He was leaning against the iron fence, smoking his cigarette calmly.