Lexi vs. Advanced Microeconomics

I was practically drooling.

Tapping my nails against the underside of the ceramic plate, I licked my lips as I surveyed the various breakfast options. There were more types of fruit than I could imagine as well as eggs and potatoes and bacon and an omelet station and my mind was about to explode because I didn't know what to choose.

Quinn appeared beside me, holding a bowl of cereal in one hand and a glass of orange juice in the other.

"Are you alright?" she asked skeptically, raising an eyebrow.

I nodded, wide eyed. "I've just never seen so much food in my life."

She laughed. "Yeah, I guess they figure we're starving and broke students, so they should give as many options as possible in the dining hall. Wait until you see what they have for lunch."

My stomach growled at the thought, so I figured I should probably get to eating. After loading my plate up with various types of fruit and muffins, I followed Quinn to a nearby table and sat down. And then I realized there was no way I was going to survive the day without coffee, so I rose again to go the small coffee bar to the side.

While I filling up a small Styrofoam cup, I felt a presence to my right.

"Fancy running into you here."

I breathed in deeply and turned to face him, shooting him a friendly smile. "Hello."

Max grinned, those damn twinkling eyes doing what they do as he reached out to grab a cup. "Good morning, Lexi. You look lovely today."

"Thanks," I gulped. "So do you."

I hadn't actually meant to say that, but he smirked at me as though it was a compliment he received on a regular basis. And to be honest, it probably was, seeing as he somehow made jeans and a black t-shirt with the sleeves rolled up look like it had just come off the runway.

I watched as he filled up his cup and grabbed a disposable lid. Dropping one eye in a wink, he smirked as he walked away, calling out behind him, "See you around."

Well, that was frustrating.

Sighing, I returned to the table where Quinn sat and slipped into the seat across from her, deciding not to notice the wide smirk on her face. Unfortunately, she seemed pretty eager not to let it go.

"So, first Max Stafford interaction of the day," she commented, "How does it feel?"

"I don't understand how someone I've only met once can make me so..."

"Flustered?" she offered.

"Angry," I nodded. "That's the word I'm looking for. He's so difficult to read and it ticks me off."

Despite the fact that he had been friendly and flirtatious, I was finding it difficult to come to any sort of logical conclusion about Max. He seemed to be an expert at only showing the emotions he wanted people to see. I had meant what I said to Evan the day before: Max seemed like a normal student and that was highly unusual considering his family ties.

So either he knew nothing about the family business, or he was extremely adept at keeping that part of his life separate from his school life.

It was my job to figure out which one was true.

"I think they call that sexual tension," Quinn said quietly, holding back a smile.

I rolled my eyes. "I may find him attractive, but I've spent a total of five minutes with the guy."