In the Field (Chapter 8)

A few months after the brief meetings with Pietro, Y/N finally got promoted from an office worker to a Field Agent. She had been assigned simple tasks, such as finding missing persons, protecting important government officials, and/or killing some assassins. She had been assigned once with Clint Barton and Black Widow, but her squadron was backup; as the two avengers infiltrated from the outside, Y/N and her fellow agents fended off the HYDRA grunts. Few soldiers recognised her, but they knew to keep their mouth shut. All HYDRA branches had been notified of the successful integration of Hype, the most lucrative experiment that the agency had created. Y/N was still reporting dutifully before bed in morse code, giving information that would be invaluable to her cause.

Y/N had started training with some of the higher-ups. She was still careful, though, of her super strength. She had slowly learned how to make it feel like she was strong, but not abnormally strong. She would be normal, that was her goal. Normal.

Impossible. Her? Normal? HYDRA had made sure that Y/N would never feel normal. She would be an outcast. Alone in her field of work. Brought up on savagery and neglect, Y/N would become independent. She would be strong.

Y/N had gotten another assignment, but the leader's name had been scratched out. When Y/N asked her boss about it, the woman had skirted around the question, giving a vague "We don't know yet." Hype was fairly nervous, as she was hoping to be paired with Pietro, as she needed to know his mannerisms better.

The deadline for the deaths of the HYDRA fugitives was nearing; Y/N had three months left. In her three months at SHIELD, Y/N had learned that Bruce Banner, or the Hulk, had gone MIA. She also found out that Clint Barton had moved back with his wife in the country, but was still on call if needed. The Scarlet Witch had stayed with her brother, Quicksilver. Black Widow and Captain America were the new leaders of the Avengers, taking in new recruits. There was plenty of sleuthing left for Y/N though.

Y/N padded down the glass hallways in her mission suit, similar to Black Widow's. Black, skin-tight, and soundless boots, fingerless gloves, but with more guns (if that was possible). Slipping into the briefing room and standing with her back to the wall. The door clicked shut. The room was empty. Y/N identified the two exits, one opening skylight and the door she came in through. The easiest path was figured out, and the fastest way to get out of the building was considered and set. Agents started filing into the grey room, a brown table with plastic chairs was the focus of all the attention. Y/N brushed her hair behind her ear and jumped back as a rush of air surged past her.

Pietro Maximoff was standing in front of the assembly of SHIELD agents. He clicked a button on the table and a screen was projected into a glass panel in front of the table.

"Zhis is our target. A HYDRA base in zhe mountains of Sokovia. It was abandoned since the Ultron incident, but we are led to believe zhat a few remaining HYDRA operatives are at work there." The image spinned and zoomed in, showing the heat signatures of many agents. Y/N was masking her anticipation. She was going to see what her old home had turned into. "I vas chosen for zhis mission as I spent a year there. You will follow me and be completely silent in zhe hallways. Ve leave in five minutes. Meet at the Quinjets." And he was gone. A blue blur against the stark grey. Y/N got up and walked quickly to the quinjet hangar. This would be an interesting mission.

Time to go back home.

~~~I~~~I~~~

Its short, but I'm trying to get updates up faster.

School might be almost over, but I still have work to do in the summer, plus a plethora of trips and times that I will not be connected to the internet, so I will try to update, but don't expect it as fast as this (even though this is really slow).

You Didn't See that Coming,

Starbird