Chapter Three: Mate?

I frantically looked around, I couldn't hear or see anything. 'Mate! Mate! Mate!' Dawn chanted in my head. "Dawn, do you know who our mate is?" I asked my horse. 'No, but he's close.' She said. "Sebastian, he's close, according to Dawn." I informed Sebastian. My ears were still pinned back and my heart raced. A big brown wolf emerged from my right and I jumped back, moving to Sebastian, who snarled from on the fallen tree. Its coat was a dark brown and its eyes were blue. He stood tall, his ears perked and his eyes locked onto me. 'Mate! Mate, mate, mate, mate!'

Sebastian jumped off the tree and stood in front of me, before starting to walk back to the school. "I'll leave the two of you." Sebastian said. "I won't be far ahead. If you need me, you neigh as loud as you can and I'll come back straight away. Okay?" He told me in a whisper.

"Do you have to leave?" I asked in a small voice. "I'm nervous. What if-"

"Cj, trust me, if he's your mate, he won't hurt you." He said softly. "And if he ever does hurt you, he'll be as good as dead." Sebastian said loud enough for the brown wolf to hear. He just growled quietly, saying nothing. I watched Sebastian walk off, not taking my eyes off him until he was completely out of sight. I looked at the brown wolf, he sat only a few metres away from me. I didn't even hear him move. I flared my nostrils and his scent flooded into them. I remembered his scent. I had smelt it before, but who was it? My ears shot forward.

"Sam?" I asked, before shifting back to my human form. My hair was dark brown that almost looked black with the ends dyed blue. The brown wolf shifted back and indeed, revealed Sam Robinson. His hair was brown and his eyes were blue, like his wolf. He stood tall, with his hands in the pockets of his jacket and he watched me. "You're my mate?"

He nodded, "Yep." I stayed silent. He sighed, walking closer to me. "Look, I know you don't like me because I'm friends with Zac-"

"-the moron you mean?" I interrupted and Sam nodded slowly.

"Yes, the moron. But I'll do whatever it takes to make it up to you. You're my mate, Cj."

'No! Our mate is Sam? No! I don't accept! Run away Cj! Run!' She asked. 'Dawn, I don't like him either but that is a bit harsh.' I told her. 'Cj, he stood back and watched his friend pick on you and our family. He never did anything to help!' I sighed. 'He did today, remember? That's why Zac yelled at him and why I... Actually, is this why I slapped Zac after the way he spoke to Sam?' I asked but she just snorted her annoyance in my head. "Dawn," I groaned out loud, unintentionally. "Don't start ignoring me." I didn't need her ignoring me on top of everything. 'Please, can we just go?' She pleaded and I sighed, feeling Sam's gaze on me. "Um," I shifted nervously from foot to foot, rubbing my left arm. "I can't forgive you. Not yet. Stay... Stay away from me." I shifted and galloped off after Sebastian.

"Cj, wait!" Sam shouted but I didn't stop. I didn't look back. I just ran away from him - my mate. Sebastian was at the spot we stashed our bags, in his human form, sitting against a tree, waiting for me. I skidded to a stop in front of him, sending snow flying through the air, and he stood up straightaway, looking concerned.

"Are you okay? What happened?" He asked, walking to me. My sides heaved with each breath I took and sweat soaked my coat from galloping for god knows how long. I shifted back and grabbed my bag, hurrying in the direction of the school. "Cj, what happened?" Sebastian grabbed his bag and followed me.

My phone started buzzing in my bag. I pulled it out and looked at the ID. It was Leo. I answered it and kept walking. "Hey." I said, still puffing from the gallop.

"Where are you two? Break is over." Leo said.

"We're on our way back now." I said.

"You better hurry. Miss isn't in the best mood."