~Chapter Thirty~

The threatening man continued to keep his bow pointed at the defenseless dwarves, waiting for them to try something. Balin glanced over, behind the man.

"Excuse me..but, um, you're from Lake-town, if I'm not mistaken." Balin spoke as he walked slowly forward towards the aim who now had his bow aimed at him. "That barge over there, it wouldn't be available for hire, by any chance?"

The bowman lowered his arrow and was suddenly curious as to what these dwarves were actually doing here. He noticed two of them were not dwarves. The small little fellow; he wasn't sure what he was but the woman he saw was elf; a very short elf.

"What makes you think I would help you?" The bowman questioned as he began loading the empty barrels onto his barge.

"Those boots have seen better days. As has that coat." The older dwarf pointed out. "Uh, no doubt you have some hungry mouths to feed. How many bairns?" the dwarf asked.

"A boy and two girls. " The man answered as he loaded another barrel onto the barge. Balin let out an awkward chuckle; trying to be charming. "And your wife, I imagine she's a beauty." Balin added. The bowman glanced at the friendly dwarf with a sad smile and Honor could tell, the way he was looking that something terrible must of happened to her.

"Aye she was." He sighed. Balin's expression fell.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to--"

"Oh, come on, come one. Enough of the niceties." Dwalin hissed.

"Don't be so mean" Honor growled as she was about to charge towards the dwarf, when Thorin had to hold her back.

"We don't have time for this." Dwalin grumbled back, getting in her face.

"Enough both of you." Thorin ordered.

"What's your hurry?" The bowman raised.

"What's it to you?" Dwalin snapped.

"I would like to know who you are and what you are doing in these lands."

"We are simple merchants from the Blue Mountains...journeying to see out kin in the Iron Hills." Balin explained a smile forming on his face.

"Simple merchants, you say?" He repeated but it was clear he was suspicious of this tale, as he glanced at the only woman with them, and saw the birthmark on her shoulder and didn't recall ever hearing the great elf king having a daughter.

Thorin released his hold on the half-breed and stepped forward towards the man. " We need food...supplies, weapons. Can you help us?" The bowman turned his attention to Thorin and then glanced back at the young elf standing behind him and then back at the dwarf as he examined the damages that had been done to the barrels.

"I know where these barrels came from." he pressed.

"What of it?" Thorin growled, not admitting nothing.

"I don't know what business you had with the elves...but I don't think it ended well. No one enters Lake-town but by leave of the master. All his wealth comes from trade with the Woodland Realm. He will see you in irons before risking the wrath of King Thranduil." The bowman declared as he began to untie his barge from the dock. Thorin looked at Balin, they had to do something if they wanted to escape from the danger that was catching up to them.

"Offer him more" Thorin hissed under his breath.

"I'll wager there are ways to enter that town unseen."

"Aye." The man agreed. "But for that, you will need a smuggler."

"For which we will pay double." Balin pressed. The bowman eyes Balin suspiciously and felt compelled to ask one thing before he allowed these dwarves onto his barge. It was clear in his mind they were running from something, but what were they running from?

"Why take her?" He questioned, pointing at the elf. "Why kidnap the king's daughter?"

"They didn't kidnap me and King Thranduil is not my father!" Honoria hissed.

"You bare the mark of his line. Explain that." He pressed. Thorin glared at the bowman and stepped in front of the elf.

"She doesn't have to say anything to you. Please will you help us or not?" Thorin begged. The bowman paused for a second before finally agreeing for them to climb onto his barge.

Thorin was the last to get on, hanging on to the elf's hand as he and the man shared a look and then he climbed on and the dwarves gathered at the front of the boat so they could discuss things privately and the barge began to slowly move away from the dock. Honoria could see just passed the trees the orcs were catching up quickly, if they hadn't gotten on when they did in a few moment's they be most likely dead and they entered the fog not long after that.