Chapter 6

Over the course of the following month, Connie had spent as much time as she could with Grace when work allowed her to; she'd take her daughter on shopping trips, to the cinema or wherever she wanted. Now the realisation hit her that Grace's 12th birthday was just 3 days away and the thought of not been able to spent it with her was getting to Connie emotionally and physically. During a quick ten minute break at work on Tuesday morning, she brought Zoe a coffee and they were sat on a bench outside the department; both wrapped up in their winters coats, scarves and gloves to keep warm.

"How's Grace doing?" Connie asked.

"She's been a little quiet and withdrawn actually; been spending a lot of time in her room and i thought she was talking to you but..."

"I didnt talk to her last night; she texted to say she had a lot of homework so she couldnt Skype"

"I think she's missing you more than she's letting on"

"It's her birthday on Saturday; we always went all out with presents and going out somewhere special. Maybe that's whats bothering her..."

"Have you made any plans for the weekend?"

"I've booked a weekend birthday package at the health spa; if i pick her up from school then we can stay Friday night through til Sunday evening or even Monday if she has her school stuff with her..."

"Why dont you pick her up this afternoon and talk to her?" Zoe suggested.

"I would but i've got a meeting with Henrik and the board"

"Okay, i'll go but i'll bring her back here for when you've finished"

At just after four thirty, Connie entered her office to find Grace sat on the sofa with her tablet that they'd picked up on the way; she sat next to her daughter as the 11 year old wrapped her arms around her.

"Hey baby, i missed you" she said, kissing her hair. "I'm almost done now; do you wanna go out for dinner?"

"I have homework"

"Do what you can while you wait for me and i'll help you after dinner?"

"We have to write about our families but mine's going to be rubbish"

"Why will it?"

"Because i only have you to write about; everyone else is writing about their dads and sisters and brothers and nieces..."

"But you do have a big family, not just me; a family doesnt have to be related by blood. A family is what you make it; what about uncle Charlie and Zoe and Max? I bet you could write loads about them" she said, stroking her daughter's hair.

"But i dont know what to write though"

"When does it have to be in for?"

"Friday"

"Okay, how about i see if you can follow Uncle Charlie around after school tomorrow and you can see if he can tell you any cool stories?"

"You dont like it when i'm in the department; you get mad and shout"

"I promise, i wont this time; i'd love to have you here. Or we can ask him to come for dinner with us, whatever you want"

"I dont know"

"Okay, why dont you have a think about it while i go and finish off and then dead on 5pm, we'll be out of here"

Grace nodded as Connie left the office; after doing the handover with the staff and touching base with Zoe and Charlie, she signed the last few bits of paperwork before heading back to her office to put on her coat.

"Ready baby? Where do you fancy going tonight?" She asked, slipping her on blue woollen coat and scarf as Grace pulled hers on.

"I want Italian"

"Italian it is then; you got everything?"

Grace nodded before taking Connie's hand; as they left the department, Zoe gave Connie her keys to the apartment so she could get Grace settled with her and Max not finishing work til 9pm.

As they were eating their meal in the local Italian restaurant, Connie noticed Grace was still quiet; something she was not used to seeing in her daughter.

"Sweetheart, are you still worried about your homework?

"No"

"Is it about your birthday?"

Grace shrugged.

"I've still gone all out baby; your celebrations start on Friday after school and it wont end until Monday morning. I have the whole weekend off again and we have plans to go and get pampered and spoilt; and on Sunday, we can do anything you want. You name it, we'll do it"

"Like what?"

"Anything; i would do bungee jumping if you wanted me to" she laughed.

"You'd go bungee jumping?" Grace smiled, her mood brightening a little.

"Okay, maybe not that but anything you want..."

"Can we go skating? Like ice-skating?"

"Course we can, if you promise not to laugh at me when i fall over"

"I promise"

"Okay baby"

"Are you picking me up from school then?" Grace asked as they waited for their desserts to be brought to the table.

"Absolutely and Zoe will bring you case to work with her with all your stuff and your spare uniform so i can drop you back at school on Monday morning"

"So we have the whole weekend?"

"I said didnt i?"

"Yeah but usually we get interrupted..."

"Not this weekend we wont; the only person that will be allowed to contact me is Zoe and she wont unless it's an emergency or until after you're asleep, i promise"

"Okay" she whispered as their desserts were placed in front of them.

When they were finally finished, Connie paid the bill before taking Grace back to Zoe's; with her daughter having got changed into her pyjamas after a quick shower, Connie sat behind her on the bed and brushed her hair.

"Do you want to see Uncle Charlie tomorrow?"

"Will he mind?"

"Course not; you can even use my computer if you need to" she said as she tied the hair bobble to secure the plait she'd done with Grace's hair. "Time for bed baby"

"Can we put the tablet on for a bit? Just until i fall asleep?" Grace asked, wanting to spend more time with her mom.

"Okay"

By the time Max and Zoe had arrived home at just gone nine thirty, Connie was fast asleep next to her daughter, Grace snuggled closely in her arms; carefully, Zoe turned the tablet off an dset it on the side before pulling a blanket over Connie and setting the alarm clock for them in the morning prior to leaving the room.