New Girl

'You done with this?' A voice broke through Naomi's bubble of thought, as Amy picked up Naomi's (unopened) chocolate mousse and waved it in her face.

'Amy, I haven't even opened it,' Naomi laughed at her best friend's appetite, as said best friend rolled her eyes.

'Are you going to eat it?' Amy was already peeling off the foil lid. Naomi sighed, giving in. She had to pick her battles.

'You can have it,' Naomi grinned as she watched Amy dunk her spoon into the smooth brown surface of the mousse.

'So, how's James?' Amy not-so-casually asked Naomi.

'Look, I know you've had a massive crush on him since Year Seven, but you still sound really creepy.'

'I don't know what you're talking about.'

'You could just, you know, talk to him,' Naomi leaned forward to wipe the chocolate off Amy's cheek with her sleeve. 'Can't take you anywhere.'

'Why won't you just set me up on a date with him?'

'Because I'm not a bloody matchmaker. Look, I'll put his number in your phone and you can ask him yourself,' Naomi said, grabbing Amy's phone off her and putting his number in. Amy made a noise, but didn't protest. The bell rang, a shrill sound that made Naomi jump every time, without fail.

'I need to get to History, take my tray?' Amy took her phone back, giving Naomi the 'puss-in-boots' eyes.

'Fine,' Naomi sighed

Naomi stood up to take her tray over to the bin. She turned around to pick Amy's up, and took a step back. Right onto someone's toe.

'Shit. I am so sorry,' Naomi turned to look at the person whose toe she'd just ground into the floor with her ridiculously heavy Doc Martens.

'It's okay. Worse things have happened today,' the girl bent down to rub her injured foot.

'I haven't seen you around before, are you new?' Naomi looked into the girl's chocolate brown eyes, and she could have sworn her heart skipped a beat.

'Yeah, my name is Ottilie. What's yours?'

'Naomi,' Naomi looked around the now empty dining hall and groaned to herself. 'I'm late for Art. What do you have?'

'Art, but I don't know the way,' Ottilie bit her lip.

'Come on, I'll show you.'

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

'Miss Parker, you're late.'

'I was showing Ottilie the way. She got lost,' Naomi grinned at the art teacher, knowing full well that the school policy allows six minutes lateness if showing a new student to their class.

'You're an infuriating being, Naomi Parker. Go sit down.'

Naomi made her way to her seat, opening her art book over the desk. She grabbed her pencil case out of her old bag, covered in paint splotches. It was once white, but years of painting had took its toll on it's pristine appearance.

Naomi looked up in time to see her teacher, Miss Mills, pointing at the empty space next to Naomi's. Usually Naomi would have complained, as she liked to have space, but for some reason, she didn't mind too much.

Ottilie made her way to her newly allocated seat at the back of the class, smiling at Naomi. Her heart skipped a beat for the second time today. She shrugged it off, putting her heart's weird behaviour down to a combination of fatigue and stress from the schoolwork that was piling on. There was no way this new girl could be having this much of an effect on her.

Naomi watched as Ottilie produced a brand new art book out of her bag. She then pulled out a canvas pencil case and took a sip from a bottle of water.

'Miss Parker, if you could kindly give us your full attention?'

Naomi snapped out of her daze, placing her focus on their new project.

'You will have all of this term to complete this project. Any questions?'

There was a silence that fell over the class, and Naomi was slightly aware of the awkwardness that always seemed to faintly taint the air whenever the teacher waited for someone to put their hand up.

'Right then. I'm aware that for some it may take a couple of lessons to gather some inspiration so I'm happy for you to use the computers around the classroom for the purpose of inspiration gathering. Off you go.'

Naomi looked at the board, which had the words 'from the heart' written across it. She groaned, getting herself off her stool, to find a computer.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

'Why won't you just give her a chance?'

'Because she's weird, Naomi,' James kicked off the ground with his feet, propelling the swing higher. Naomi rolled her eyes.

'I gave her your number,' Naomi muttered. James came to a halt.

'You did WHAT?!'

'I gave her your number. She probably won't text you anyway.'

'She better not Naomi Parker.'

'What is it with everyone and calling me by my full name today?' Naomi said.

'What's the matter, Naomi Parker? Does it annoy you, Naomi Parker?'

'Piss off.'

A/N hey! If you liked this chapter, don't forget to vote and comment, and I'll see you later!