Chapter 18: Welcome Home

Rainey removed the meager items from her backpack and gently unwrapped the crystal shard she'd taken from Crystal Mountain. Forever a reminder of her adventure, its beauty mocked her misery. Next, she picked up the trashy novel the clerk had shoved in her face in Bawiti and smoothed her fingers over the title, TAMING THE BEAST. She chucked the book toward her nightstand and missed. It hit the floor and a paper slipped from between the pages. She bent to retrieve it. It was the fishing trip email from Endesha. She grabbed a pencil and paper and decoded the words again as Roth had shown her.

Amun, Lord of silence, without mother, without father, being everything, creates nothing. Mut, Lady of Heaven, without mother, without father, balances everything with a feather. Khonsu, great snake, son of Amun and Mut, fertilizes the cosmic egg with disharmony to create.

Frustrated with the nonsensical words she stuffed the paper back in the cheap novel. Jet lag soon claimed her body and she dreamed. She was in a void and heard nothing. She longed for movement, sound, anything but the black void. Who was she? What was she? Where was she? Unanswered questions trickled through her mind, and then increased in speed. Did she exist? Did anything exist? How could she exist? The questions accelerated but never escaped from her mind to enter the void she was trapped in. Her mind wanted to explode!

Rainey jerked her eyes open and bolted upright. Every impression and feeling within the dream remained and shrouded her in a garment of expectation. Slowly, her mind and emotions returned to normal. What a strange dream!

She glanced at the clock. It was almost six. Her father had welcomed her home with a hug and kiss and insisted she and Roth rest after their long flight and meet again for dinner. Rainey groaned and entered the bathroom to freshen up. She hoped Roth would oversleep. She despised him for taking advantage of her at a low point, but hated him for apologizing for what had happened between them. His apology had lodged like a spear in her heart that she couldn't pull out.

She brushed her hair to the nape of her neck and secured it with a clip. To think she'd even considered going to a spa and getting a makeover made her cringe. She would not change herself for Roth.

Pulling on a fresh pair of slacks that now hung on her because of the weight she'd lost during her forced adventure, she studied her reflection in the mirror and shrugged. So I'm thinner, so what; doesn't change who I am. She buttoned the last button on her plain gray blouse and left her bedroom.

In the dining room, her father stood before the fireplace mantle and Roth leaned against it, his ankles crossed and his lean body the image of perfection. His blue gaze traveled from her head to her feet and back again, and her heart thudded at the intensity. She quickly glanced away.

"Rainey, did you rest well?" asked her father.

"Yes, thanks Father."

"Well, come on, let's dine. I want to hear all about Egypt. You're not still angry with me, are you? I only sent you away because I wanted to protect you."

Roth drew her chair out. She sat to the right of her father and Roth sat across from her.

Before she could answer her father's question, he lifted his bell and rang it once. Immediately, two servants brought dinner out on carts. Laughing, Hank said, "I asked Beth to prepare your favorite meal." He turned to Roth. "Of all the exotic dishes in the world, Rainey's favorite is the unoriginal macaroni and cheese with breadcrumb topping. Did you know that Roth?"

Unoriginal like me, thought Rainey.

Roth replied, "No, sir, I didn't"

"What's your favorite food, Roth?" asked Hank.

"I like the Egyptian dish kurshari." He glanced at Rainey.

She remembered the restaurant near Luxor.

Roth continued, "It sounds exotic, but it's actually quite common in Egypt."

Hank laughed and winked. "So, you're both simple, down-to-earth folks." Throughout dinner he kept the conversation lighthearted by asking mundane questions about Egypt, and afterward, they retired to the drawing room where Beth served coffee and cheesecake. While serving Rainey she patted her shoulder. "We missed you. Your father brooded until he had me worried about his health."

Hank cleared his throat. "Thanks for that tidbit of information, Beth."

The cook looked at him and shrugged. "Well, it's true."

After Beth left the room, Hank said, "She's incorrigible. Always says whatever she wants. I'd have fired her years ago if she wasn't such a damn good cook." He laughed. "Seriously, she took Rainey under her wing from a young age. Do you remember how old you were when she started working for us, Rainey?"

"I think I was about three."

Roth smiled at Rainey. "So, she helped your mom keep you out of trouble. With your inquisitive mind, I imagine they both had their hands full."

Rainey was saved from having to respond when her father answered for her. "Rainey's mother is not what you would call your typical soccer mom."

Roth gazed at Hank with an expression that encouraged him to continue.

"I've always called Stella my butterfly. She flits from place to place. We've been married a long time because I knew the only way to stay married, was to not net that butterfly. I've never wanted any woman but Stella and she's made me very happy and blessed me with Rainey." He paused and studied his daughter. "I've tried to explain Stella to Rainey, but she harbors resentment for her mother's absence."

"Father, I don't think Roth needs to hear this."

"I disagree. He's your bodyguard and should know everything in order to do his job well."

Although Rainey did not counter her father's assessment, she stood to leave. "I'm still recovering from jet lag. I'll see you in the morning, Father." She walked to his chair and kissed his forehead. Moving past Roth, she ignored his presence.

***

Back in the kitchen, Beth dried a plate and placed it in the cupboard. As fine a specimen as Roth was in human form, she could only imagine him as a shapeling. He would be—she searched for words—resplendent, imposing, magnificent, glorious. Would Stella's revelation—confided to Beth in a moment of weakness years ago—come to pass? The thought sent shivers down her spine.

***

Rainey dreamed again. She was back in the void, only this time her arms were stretched out from her body, palms upward, with a feather resting in each palm. Again, thoughts raced across her mind, slowly at first, and then speeding up until they blurred as one. Still, there was no release of the thoughts trapped within her.

She snapped her eyes open. The soft glow of the nightlight brought her back to reality. What is this dream? The translation of the hieroglyphs has planted something in my mind.

Rising from bed, she opened the door to her balcony and stepped into deep night. The chirping of crickets greeted her and a warm breeze blew her gown against her body, caressing it. Not wanting to, but unable to prevent it, she relived Roth's caresses. Muted illumination from a half moon played lover to the tops of trees while the gentle wind bent leaves and branches to its will. Glancing skyward she searched for her eagle, but he wasn't there. Disappointed, she returned to bed and dreamed again; only this time Roth haunted her night visions. Roth above her, Roth kissing her, Roth trailing kisses from her temple to her neck, and lower. Unbidden, tears leaked and followed the same path as Roth's dream kisses.