Chapter 13: Trouble

Rainey entered Endesha's home while he held the door for her and Roth. The small stone structure, located on the outskirts of Luxor at the end of a quiet street, conveyed the personality of Endesha that she had already surmised; comfortable and accommodating. Before leaving the temple in Endesha's car it had been decided that Roth would return across the Nile the next day to find long-term parking for their Toyota. Rainey wondered how Roth had known to meet his friend at the Temple of Karnak and decided he must have emailed him.

"Please bring your backpacks to my guest room," said their host, and led them through a small living room to a short hallway. At the end of the hallway he opened a door and graciously waited for them to enter. A double bed took up most of the tiny room. Rainey placed her backpack on the bed and looked questioningly at Roth.

"I'll be camping out on the couch," he told Endesha.

"As you wish."

Roth glanced at Rainey. "But I'll store my backpack in here for the time being." He set it on the floor next to the bed. "Why don't you unpack and freshen up, then meet us in the living room, Rainey?"

Rainey wasn't fooled. She knew Roth wanted to speak with Endesha alone. She shrugged. "Sure." Endesha and Roth left the room and she sank onto the bed wondering how long they would be staying in Luxor. She glanced around the room searching for somewhere to store her things. A small chest sat opposite the bed. When she moved to unzip her backpack, her legs bumped Roth's backpack. Tapping her fingers against her cheek she made a spur-of-the-moment decision and pulled his pack onto the bed. This has to be where his laptop is. Unzipping the large pocket, she smiled when she saw his briefcase wedged inside. She glanced toward the bedroom door hoping to see a lock, but there wasn't one. Damn.

In spite of that, however, she decided that the opportunity to fire up his computer was worth the risk of being caught, and tugged the briefcase out of his backpack. With shaking hands she set it on the bed. Unfortunately, instead of the simple clasp she'd hope to find, she found a lock. Double damn! Searching the pockets of the backpack she felt for a key. All she found was clothing and toiletries. When she started to remove her hand from the last pocket, her fingers brushed a slip of paper. She withdrew it and read the dainty handwriting. Huh, what's this? She reread the words written on her lab's letterhead notepaper.

Meet me tonight. I don't intend to stop reminding you of how it was before.

Ha Ha. —Fawn

Why would Fawn and Roth meet after hours? Rainey didn't like the way her heart sank at her suspicion that they were lovers. Stuffing everything back into the pack, she told herself she didn't care if they were having an affair.

Lying back on the bed, she placed her arm over her eyes and blinked rapidly against tears.

***

Roth accepted the cup of hot mint tea that Endesha handed him. Sipping the fragrant brew, he watched his former guide and adoptive father settle into the chair across from him. Wrinkles now covered his once handsome face, and slow movements evidenced problems with his joints.

"Your Prayer of Connection took me by surprise, Roth. You are aware, of course, that contact between a shapeling and a former shapeling is taboo, except under the direst circumstances. You will be called before the counsel to explain."

"Yes, I'm aware of that. However, I need the help of someone who is completely trustworthy and an Egyptian scholar."

"Sounds intriguing; tell me more."

"I will, but first I must ask a question to satisfy my own curiosity."

"And what is that, son?"