Chapter 4: Frustration

Roth surreptitiously glanced at Rainey as she stared at the passing countryside during the drive to the lab the next day. "Do you know anything about eagles?" Mr. Beowolf.

Roth coughed. "Excuse me?"

"Do you know anything about eagles?"

"Why?"

"No reason. I was just thinking that I've spent my life pursuing higher education, and yet I know practically nothing about animals. Do you know anything about eagles?"

"A little."

"How did you learn?"

"Observation."

"Hmm. Yes, you would be the kind of person who learns by observation. Sadly, I've learned everything I know from books."

"You're introspective today."

"You mean not quite my 'bitchy' self?"

"I didn't say that."

"You didn't have to. But don't worry, it's only temporary."

Johnson pulled to the curb of the lab building and started to exit the car.

"No need, Johnson, I'll let myself out." Rainey reached for her door handle, but hesitated, "Maybe you can share what you know about eagles with me someday, Mr. Beowolf."

Rainey's introspection didn't last long. The experiments scheduled for that day were disastrous. First one piece of equipment broke and then another, until Roth pulled Fawn aside, trying to gain an understanding of the equipment problems.

"Fawn, are you being paid to talk or work?" Rainey asked when she saw them together.

"I'm sorry, Rainey. What would you like me to do?"

"Prepare the plate for the next array of frequencies."

Roth walked to the bank of windows and turned to watch Rainey. She wore a white shapeless lab coat and beige loafers. Her hair, pulled back in its usual clip at the nape of her neck, looked stark and unbecoming. If he hadn't encountered her the previous night, even in his wildest imaginings, he would never have associated this Rainey, with that Rainey. Last night, he had observed a vulnerable, warm, and even compelling woman. The woman he now saw was brash, rude, and homely. He shook his head.

"Listen up, everyone," Rainey called. "We need to regroup. Meet me in my office in ten minutes." As an afterthought, she added, "Mr. Beowolf, your presence is not required."

"I'll be there," he countered.

Ten minutes later, Steve, Jim, Fawn, and Roth sat uncomfortably in the small office in chairs borrowed from the lab floor.

Rainey sat behind her desk tapping a pencil on her blotter. "It has become obvious over the past weeks that we're at a stalemate. When we first started our experiments based on the work of other researchers, our springboard was the ancient OM. When toned, it creates an 'O' shape. We then became proficient at using certain frequencies in certain combinations to create geometric forms. After that, we increased the number of frequencies and successfully formed three-dimensional shapes. Then we moved on to creating rudimentary body organs. A few months ago, we accidentally had an incredible breakthrough with the formation of the likeness of a human on the Chladni plate." She laid her pencil down and said forcefully, "What I'm saying, people, is that we're going nowhere fast! We have got to regroup and rethink. How the hell were we able to create a three-dimensional replica of me? Think everyone. Think about it when you're at home... think about it when you go to bed... think about it in your dreams... think about–"