• Chapter One •

Olivia

My father entered our dingy Floridian kitchen with a big brown envelope in his thick hand. I had made a brave decision by requesting to go to boarding school. During our stay at the motel, I decided t o research schools in Florida, and found out about a great one called William Sterling Academy.

When I had brought it up, there was a lot of yelling and swearing, leaving me shaky, but I figured a little distance might be good for both of us. It was quite clear that my father hated the sight of me and it was safer than staying home. The funds were an issue as though my father worked, his short temper got him fired often and his alcoholic needs drained a hefty portion of the money. I didn't think it would happen, but I applied anyways.

"I'm going to boarding school?" I asked in surprise. He carelessly tossed the envelope at me and it landed loudly on the table. I picked it up and opened it, my eyes scanning the letter. Though I was careful not to look too joyful, I felt a sense of relief wash over me. They accepted me and were giving me a full scholarship because of the excellent grades I had. It appeared spending as much time at the school library as an escape really came in handy.

"Yes. However, you'll come home on the days I tell you to and don't give me a reason to come get you or you'll regret leaving this house. Do I make myself clear?" His eyes were dark and his face was serious.

"Yes, Father," I said as I nodded quickly.

***

I dragged my luggage outside and threw them in the boot of the car. My father decided on driving me to the nearest bus terminal as we only had one car, and he didn't care to drive me all the way to school. My destination was a little past Palm Coast, which was about an hour away from Jacksonville. My father didn't get out of the car to help with my luggage, or even to say goodbye. The moment I grabbed the last bag, he drove off.

After loading my bags into the bus, I found a window seat. I took out my old iPhone that I had bought with money from working little jobs like babysitting, and newspaper routes. After putting in my headphones, I leaned back in my seat. I was excited to see the sunshine and the palm trees that London lacked. When the bus moved off, I couldn't help but think about how much I wished my mum were still around.

When I was five, I woke up one day to see that most of her stuff was gone. Barefooted, I toddled across the wooden floor to the kitchen where my father sat at the table. I asked where my mother had gone and he told me she had left us. I honestly couldn't blame her and I guess she was unable to take me with her, but I really wished she had.

When I finally got to the William Sterling Academy, I stepped off the bus and pulled my suitcases out. I dragged them to the main office, despite the trek. The heat seemed to press on me, leaving me exhausted by the time I stepped into the office. A dark-haired secretary looked up when I walked in.

"Hello, dear," she said with a polite smile. "How may I help you?"

"I'm Olivia Sombers," I started. "I'm supposed to be starting tomorrow?"

"Oh yes! Let me get your file." She typed in a few things onto the computer in front of her. She started to print things from the computer before getting up to retrieve papers from the machine. "Here is your schedule, a map and room number and key. Your dorm is here." She pointed to a building on the map, then handed me the papers and a key. I thanked her and set off to find my room.

I got to a building on the east side of campus with three stories, and smiled at the bricks that looked a little rustic. There was ivy growing up the side of it, and it slightly reminded me of London buildings. The major differences being that there were palm trees near the building as well.