Chapter 1

(A/n: most of this will be in Alan's pov unless stated otherwise the picture is Jason and I'm terrible with ages of children so Jason can be however old he seems)

"Mommy Mommy!" A small force jumped on my back, making me roll over and look up at my son. People say he's a spitting image of me, I guess I can see it. We both have long, messy red hair and freckles covering every inch of our body.. But that's where the similarities end. He has bright blue eyes while I have boring brown eyes and he is taller than I ever was at two years old.

"What baby?" I hummed, reaching up to tuck some hair behind his ear. He grinned down at me and played with a piece of my hair. Something that we have both found comforting.

"Can we go pway at da park?"

I couldn't say no to his smiley face, his cheeks were flushed and his eyes were wide awake, despite us getting no sleep last night.

"Sure babe, go change out of your pj's" I tapped his bum lightly as he crawled to the other side of our van that held out hygiene products.

Sure most of our tooth brushes, tooth paste, shampoo and soap were super hero themed, but that didn't matter to me. As long as Jason was happy I could deal with washing myself with Green Lantern body wash.

"Mommy help!" I jumped up at the cry, only to see Jason struggling to take his shirt off. He giggled like a mad man as the material was pulled off his head and replaced by a clean shirt.

"You're silly" I chuckled and shook my head as I grabbed some dry cereal from a box in the corner. "Froots or Cheers this morning?" I asked, holding up a box of Cheerios in one hand and a box of Froot Loops in the other.

"Hm..." he tapped his chin for a moment before making up his mind "Froots!" he cheered

"Good choice." I nodded and poured Froot loops into two baggies so we could eat them while we walk.

"Ready to go?" I asked as I grabbed the bag of hygiene so we could wash up at a bathroom.

"Ready Freddy!" he yelled and hopped out of our van and waited for me in the lot. He held out his small hand for me to take as we walked across the parking lot and towards the park.

"Mommy?" he only spoke when we were sitting on a bench watching geese swimming in the pond.

"What baby?" I asked, putting my arm around him, he rested his small head against the side of my chest.

"Why do you.. You not change pj's?" he asked, pulling at the joggers I wore every day.

"Because these clothes give me magical mommy powers" I smiled down at him. He gasped and looked at me with wide eyes.

"Reawy?" he stared at me in amazement. I nodded and hummed, pouring my left over cereal into his baggie.

"What powers?"

"All sorts of things bud" I smiled at him as we finished eating our cereal in peace.

^^^

"Higher Mommy! Higher!" Jason yelled as I pushed him on the swing. I pushed him higher to the point where his little body was raising out of the seat on the way down.

"When I say jump, jump into my arms!" I yelled. He looked at me with a terrified eyes.

"Promise you'll catch me?" he looked at me with a doubtful look.

"I promise, have I ever dropped you?"
"Once" he replied sassily before letting go of the chains and flying through the air and landing safely in my arms.

"I was scared you were dropping me." he giggled and grabbed a handful of my hair.

"I'm never going to drop you, I'll always catch you" I whispered and kissed his cheek.

"I love you Mommy" he smiled and leaned his head on my shoulder.

"I love you too baby" I sighed and held him tightly against me.

"Can we play hide and seek now?" he pulled back and gave me a hopeful look

"Of course." I smiled and set him on the ground while he told me to go hide while he counts. I nodded and made sure he was closing his eyes before crouching down behind the slide.

I bit back a smile as I listened to his small voice count to ten. I chuckled as he skipped over the number six. After a few minutes of hiding behind the slide I started to get worried. I stood up and looked around the park for a head of red hair.

Finally I spotted him hiding behind a tall man's legs. I wasn't surprised, he usually forgot that he was the one seeking.

"Jason!" I called out playfully, the tall man smiled as Jason giggled like a mad man behind him.

Peeked his head between the man's legs and covered his mouth while he giggled as I looked under the bench.

"I guess I'll have to leave without you" I sighed and pretended to walk away.

"Mommy!" Jason yelled and ran to me, clinging into my legs and hiding his face in the back of my thighs.

"Don't leave me mommy.." I felt him tremble and hug me tighter.

"I won't." I say, turning around and kneeling to hug him. He sniffled into my neck and tugged on my hair. "I love you baby" I whispered and kissed the side of his head.

"Mommy can we get lunch today?" he looked up at me with watery eyes, his bottom lip budding out slightly.

"We can't afford it today..." I sighed and smoothed his hair back. "I'm sorry..." I hate to see him slowly starve, saying that we can't afford very much food.

"Mommy what's wrong?" Jason held my face between his small hands.

"I'm sorry I can't buy you lunch today Jason..." I let tears fall down my face.

"It's otay Mommy" he scrunched up my face and pecked my lips. "Gimme" he pulled on the material of my sweatshirt.

Without questioning, I pulled my sweatshirt off, leaving me in a dirty white tee shirt. I pulled it over his small body and watched as he pulled up the sleeves and cuddled into my chest as I sat on the ground.

"I'm sorry Jason..." I sighed and hugged him tightly.

"It's otay mommy" he looked up at me with the hood covering half his face. "Do I have super Mommy powers now?" he giggled and flapped the oversized sleeves.

"Yes you do baby" I smiled and kissed his forehead. He sighed and cuddled back into my chest.

"Uhm, excuse me?" a soft voice asked as a long shadow was cast over us. I looked up to see the tall man standing behind us. I stood up and held Jason tightly against my chest, he peeked out from behind the hood and smiled at the man.

"I couldn't help but over hear your conversation..." I could feel my face flush with anger, nobody should be listening to the conversations me and my child are having... "...And if you don't mind... I would like to buy you guys lunch.."

My anger stopped instantly and was replaced with guilt.

"I can't ask you to do that" I mumbled and looked down at Jason who was almost falling asleep on my shoulder.

"But you're not asking... I'm offering." he pointed out and flashed me a smile.

"Alright..." I sighed "...But nothing too expensive.."

"I know just the place" he smiled and motioned for us to follow.

"I'm Austin by the way..." he gave me another smile.

"Alan... And this is Jason" I looked down at my child in my arms who had wrapped himself into a cocoon with my sweatshirt.

"Nice to meet you Alan" he spoke as we walked down the sidewalk and away from the park.