Chapter 9 - Fist To Face

At lunch, Danielle and I sat down with Max, Hanna, and Astrid. The lunches that Danielle and I had were almost exact: an apple, a bag of crackers, sandwiches, and a juice box. The only difference was that my sandwich had tuna fish and hers consisted of strawberry jam. 

     ''A strike on the first day of school? Nice, Luca.'' Max shook his head at me in mock disappointment. 

     I swallowed a bite of my sandwich. ''Well, they need to make either the school smaller or the time between classes longer, and my first class was with Mr. Hertel, anyway.''

     ''Ah,'' said Max dramatically. ''I understand.''

     I rolled my eyes and took a sip of my juice.

     ''I'm thinking of taking up the flute,'' said Hanna.

     ''What, in Music?'' I asked. 

     ''Yeah. I need to learn how to play an instrument where breathing is important.''

     All of us laughed. ''But breathing's important with guitar, too,'' I said. ''When you sing the lyrics and all that.''

     I saw Danielle give me a little smile. I remembered last night when we'd sang Angels together. 

     ''Speaking of singing,'' I continued, ''you should hear Danielle.''

     ''You sing?'' Hanna asked.

     Danielle shrugged. ''Just a bit.''

     ''A bit?'' I echoed, smiling at her. ''Your voice is way better than a bit.'' 

     ''You guys should do a jam session together,'' Max said earnestly. 

     Jam sessions happened every second Friday at the school, where students were eligible to perform their musical talents. I'd only done one last year. 

     ''That'd be fun,'' Danielle grinned at me. 

     ''Sure,'' I said. ''We could do Angels.''

     Danielle laughed at the memory. Behind us, an angry male voice cried out suddenly. 

     ''Scheißkerl! Goddammit!''

     ''Don't look,'' Max said warningly as I turned to see who was swearing angrily in German. ''You'll only get scared.''

     ''Who is it?'' Danielle asked.

     ''Simon Dietrich,'' Hanna answered seriously.

     ''Biggest dickhead in the school,'' Max added.

     I ran a hand through my hair, my thoughts echoing exactly what Max had just said.

     ''He's really cute,'' Astrid shrugged. Hanna gave her a look. ''But he's a jerk.'' 

     ''He is,'' Hanna said coolly. 

     I didn't say anything. Simon was in my grade and always worked my temper up. He was the kind of guy who'd steal other guys' girlfriends and beat up little grade sevens. I'd only gotten into three fights with him, but I couldn't remember any of them. 

     There was a blow that echoed across the lunchroom and the sound of a kid screeching along the floor. 

     ''Nimm das, du Hurensohn!'' Simon bellowed. I saw a scrawny kid with ashen hair scramble away from the floor and dash away, blood trailing from the side of his face. 

     ''Ouch,'' Danielle said softly as she watched the kid.

     ''Simon's done worse,'' Max said quietly. ''Try not to get on his bad side today, okay, Luca?''