Chapter 6 - I Can't Swim

I showered, dressed in daytime jeans and a shirt rolled up at the elbows, and went downstairs to find Danielle and my mother in a conversation. They were both drinking tea, and Danielle was finishing a piece of toast. 

     ''Good morning,'' Mom said brightly as I poured myself a glass of milk.

     ''Hi,'' I answered. 

     Danielle caught my eye and grinned. 

     ''We were just talking about you,'' Mom said. 

     My stomach flipped. ''What about?'' I asked, trying to sound casual. 

     ''Well, connecting you between Danielle's brothers. Who did you say he was most like?'' she asked Danielle. 

     ''Matt,'' Danielle answered, catching my eye again and smiling. ''He's a year older than me, but he's got your personality and attitude. And he looks like you, except he's got brown hair.''

     ''She's got five brothers,'' my mother added enthusiastically.

     Alexander's voice came from the stairs as he appeared. ''Five brothers? Holy shit.''

     ''It's Mom and Dad's fault,'' Danielle shrugged, giggling slightly.

     ''Well, then . . .'' Alexander was wearing only blue sweatpants, push down so you could see the hem of his underwear. ''Mom, we're out of coffee.'' 

     ''Since when do you drink coffee?'' I asked him. 

     Mom sighed and brought her tea mug to the sink. ''I'm going to get groceries this afternoon, so I'll grab some them. Danielle, is there any kind of specific food you'd like for lunches?''

     ''Um . . . nothing special, just an apple and a sandwich, I guess . . .'' she replied nervously. 

     I poured the last of the corn flakes into my bowl and took a seat beside her. ''You should get some gingerbread, Mom. And we're out of corn flakes.'' 

     ''You have corn flakes here?'' Danielle asked me excitedly. 

     ''Yeah,'' I said slowly. ''And we also have Coke and pancakes and the best potatoes ever.'' 

     ''Oh.'' She gave me a shy smile. 

     ''Luca, if you're going out to the lake, be sure to bring a sweater. It's not the nicest morning today,'' my mother said as she washed dishes. 

     ''Okay.'' I cleaned my bowl and grabbed my sweater from the hooks by the door. Danielle slipped on her purple flip-flops and I slid into my Vans. 

     Mom was right. Rain tinkled every so slightly on us and the wind blew harshly. 

     ''It's usually a lot nicer out,'' I told Danielle as she pulled her hood up. 

     ''I don't mind,'' she said. 

     We walked over the lawn and started to cross the road. 

     ''So you have five brothers?'' I asked her as I shielded my face from the rain. 

     ''Yeah. Six kids for my parents, and I'm second youngest.''

     ''Must be fun for your parents.''

     She grinned. ''Well, three of them have already left the house, so I guess it's slightly easier for them.''

     ''What're their names?'' I asked.

     She hesitated, looking up at the silver sky with big eyes and a wide smile. ''Well, I might as well give you a quick bio with them, too.''