Chapter 5

The following weeks were spent mostly with Hayden. And i started to get my feelings back for him.

I even got dangerously close once. My lips were almost touching his before I stopped myself. "Hayden, were just friends. Remember?"

"Yes", he whispered as he pulled away.

But I couldn't stay away from him. He was like a drug. I missed Charlie so much, that I was too blind to care if I fell in love with someone else.

But I didn't let myself all in love. I don't know why, but something in me urged me not to. So I just stayed friends with Hayden, even though we both knew we were a little bit more.

...

One day, I came home from work and I heard phone ring. I checked who it was and I almost dropped it.

"He... Hello?"

"Alli. It's Charlie".

My heart started racing at the sound of his voice.

"Hi".

"I just wanted to see how you were doing".

I immediately shut my heart out, remembering all I saw.

"I'm fine."

"..... Okay. I miss you".

I wanted to scream and cry that I missed him too into the phone. But I didn't.

"Okay." I said coldly.

"I'm in Europe".

"I heard. Charles, I would love to stay and chat, but I'm late for a date.... With a friend".

Before he answered, I hung up.

I shrunk down and cried my heart out. His voice brought back so many memories. I still loved him so much. I wanted to fly to Europe and wanted him to hold me in his arms and kiss me.

But I just sat there.

...

Months went by. I saw Hayden about every week.

I know he wanted to call me his girlfriend, but I promised myself that I would stay true to Charlie until we cleared things up.

I waited and I heard little from him...

...

One day I felt so tired, I could barely keep my eyes open. Like when you're so tired, that you don't even feel tired. Your eyes just sting like crazy and you feel gross.

I was moping around my house. I ate a slow breakfast and got ready for a slow shower.

I heard a knock on the door. You gotta be freaking kidding me. I slowly made my way to the door. I opened it with all the strength I could manage.

All of a sudden, I was scooped up in someone's arms. I gasped. "Charlie!"

He squeezed me tight and set me down.

"I missed you so much Alli".

"I missed you too", I said with swelling eyes, which were half watering and half actually crying.

He placed his hand on my cheek and rubbed it.

I put my hand on his.

He kissed my cheek. I sighed,"Charlie, we really need to talk".

He looked a little surprised but agreed. We sat down on my couch. It brought back so many memories that made me so happy.

I laid my head on his strong chest and felt every breath, and every heartbeat.