Chapter 12

Melina’s POV:

I walk to the large window in Ryan’s bedroom. I hear him close the door, and seconds late I feel his arms around me. He hides his face in my hair, and we just stand there for a while.

Ryan finally whispers, “Please change you mind, Baby. Please stay with me” Even though it should be impossible for me to cry any more, my eyes are filled with tears again. I turn around to face him, and he has the same devastating look he had all night.

I cup his face with both hands and look into his eyes, “Baby, I wish there was another way, but it is the only way you can be safe.” I can see he is getting angry, and he trying really hard to control it.

“So you’re just gonna pack up your things and leave me, It’s that easy?” I let go of him, I don’t like him to be angry with me. On the other hand if it helps him get over me, it is okay. Nothing in the world can hurt me more than not being with him, so his anger and angry words, can’t possibly make it worse.

I whisper “it is not easy for me”

He steps away from me, running both of his hands through his hair and says, “How the hell do you think I am going to cope with the thoughts of what he is going to do to you” He slams his fist against the wall.

His voice breaks and I reach out for him again. He pulls me into his arms and starts to cry, “Melina, I am just as worried about you, as you are about me.” He says silently.

I put my arms around him and whispers “I know, Ryan” but he cuts me off

“But I don’t think, that you do, you think that I will get over you and forget all about you” I nod, it is what I think, and I wish for him to be happy. “That’ll never happen, I love you and I will never be able to love anyone else.”

“Ryan, you don’t know that.” I try again. “Ryan we’ve been through this last night, I just wish for you to be happy and safe.”

He sighs “and what about you then, don’t you deserve to be happy and safe?”

I let go of him and turn my back to him “no, I don’t”

“Why?” he demands to know.

“Because all of this is my fault, my parents were right. I inflicted this on myself, on my family and now on you. I fell in love with Mitch, and I made him go crazy”

“Melina, this is not your fault, Mitch is sick and his background made him the person he is, not you. You fell in love like a normal girl, you didn’t know what he would turn into. How could you have known, your parents are as much to blame for this as you, they should have protected you.”

I hide my face in my hands, his words gets to me. I know he has a point, but I have been living with the guilt for so long it does not just disappear.        

He grabs me and turns me around “Tell me, will you find him and go back to him?”

“No, Ryan I’ll not” He sighs, but I continue “unless he force me too by threatening you more” Ryan looks at me, even though his eyes are bloodshot and dark, they are just as mesmerizing and beautiful as always.

He ask “Do you want me, to let you go?”

“Yes, Ryan.”                

“Then say it”

This is hard for me, and he knows, that is why he does it. The tears are filling up my eyes again as I whisper, “Please, Ryan…Please, let me…………. go” There I said it! Ryan turns his back on me and I hide my face in my hands, trying to control the tears.