Chapter 16- 'You know for a ginger, you're actually quite soulful.'

Start from the beginning

I couldn’t help the breath of laughter that escaped. Little Kevin was not only speaking to me, but he was having a joke with me. Little Kevin also realised there was something on my mind before I even did.

“I’m sorry I didn’t mean to steal your thing.” I replied, and a smile was at his mouth.

He swallowed slightly, turning his head briefly to look back at the others nervously before he looked back at me “Do you want to talk about it?”

My heart melted. Like it actually melted like ice cream in an oven.

My delayed reply however made him think I wasn’t interested.

“I’m sorry it’s none of my business. You wouldn’t want to talk about it with someone you barely know anyway, especially not the quiet geeky ginger kid-“

“Kevin, sit down.” I cut him off, shaking my head and smiling faintly at his nervous babbling. His eyes widened, and after a few seconds of initial shock he followed my order and sat on the table, pulling his feet up on the bench as I was next to me.

He didn’t know what to say at first. To be honest the reason I didn’t break the silence straight away was because his awkwardness was hilarious. I genuinely wanted to see what he did next.

He was thinking about what to say, and after a few minutes he held his hand out to me.

“Oreo?” He smiled innocently at me, and for once it wasn’t a sarcastic innocence. It was actual innocence. This kid was actually like a kid.

I shook my head, not being able to wipe the smile off.

“I’m good thanks. All this dying really has got rid of my appetite.”

He laughed at my very grim humour, before turning his head and looking at the Oreos in his hand.

“Is that why you’re here alone?” He asked, and I stared ahead at the two boys who were in fact the real reason.

“Surprisingly, no.”

From the corner of my eye, I realised he followed my gaze.

“Is this about the affair?” He asked nervously, and I knew he wasn’t sure whether to say it.

I turned my head to look at him “How do you know as well? Did someone do a public service announcement?”

He pressed his lips together before he answered, looking at me sympathetically “Gavin.”

My mouth formed into a small circle as I nodded in realisation “Of course. Gavin Smith, the original Mean Girl.”

Kevin’s mouth formed into a wide smile. He glanced over at Gavin for a second “I know I’m not really part of the in crowd so I’m not that aware of the protocol, but I have to ask.” He turned his head to look at me seriously “Is he on medication?”

I burst out laughing, genuinely not being able to contain myself. I noticed a few heads turn to us from the main group as my laughter echoed around the hall, but I ignored them.

“I wouldn’t be surprised. That would explain a lot.” I agreed as my laughter slowly died down. I didn’t have to look to feel the burning stare of curiosity from not only my best friend, but the boy who I had recently made out with.

We remained silent for a few more seconds, and I couldn’t help but glance over between the two Henderson brothers, thinking about the crappy situation all three of us were currently in. Not the murdering situation, but the parental adultery one. One crappy situation at a time. Jesus we had so much crap in our lives I felt like a public toilet.