THE ESPERATIUS: Chapter 2 - Part 1

Section 1

. . .

Blank?

All three of them didn't quite know what to do with the simple word. 

To Cyri and Hugh, the feeling was along the lines of grading an exceptionally simple math test and finding out every answer is hilariously wrong.

To Al, it was the feeling the student would feel after the poor teacher had to deliver the news.

"So, if my eyes aren't deceiving me, you're an esper without a power," Cyri said slowly, trying to evaluate the situation for herself.

"No, I do have a power. But the shitty computed seems to have missed that idea," Al responded, backing up a bit and looking dead at the machine.

"And, before you even ask, it's Clairvoyance."

"Clairvoyance? That's not an esper ability that's appeared in any database. . . ," Cyri said, struggling to come up with some coherent explanation. 

Nothing came to mind.

"It isn't? That's weird. When I came to this city just a few weeks ago I assumed there were lots of people with the same power," Al said. To him his idea was utterly sound. 

"If my power's more unique than I thought, if word gets out, I'm in trouble," Al thought, silently cursing his luck. Being special was never on Al's agenda, as expressed by his desire to be a common, yet influential crime lord. 

Hell, he'd even prepared a backup plan against others of the same ability.

"You're wrong then. The top most common esper abilities are around the four primary elements. Something like Clairvoyance is completely unheard of," Cyri said, thrusting her hand to the side to have the control panel snake back into the wall.

"I'll go ahead and file the report. Get him in a cell once you're done with him," Hugh said, proceeding to walk out before Cyri could protest. 

Al had also noticed how the man never took his helmet and facemask off.

Weirdo.

Al quickly forgot about that detail, instead falling into his own thoughts.

Here he thought many things: the status quo, the nature of his power, and why the machine had deduced he was powerless. It had quite clearly detected a prominent WEP field, yet it detected nothing worthy of being called a 'power'. If that were truly the case, his power must've been linked either more subconsciously or by an entirely different means than what an Esperic power can explain.

He shook his head to see his jailer dragging him along, to the prison area.

"Oh, have we been introduced? Name's Al," he said, attempting conversation. He might as well make the most of his situation.

"Cyri, one of the strongest Cryokinetic espers in the city."

"Is that name real, because it sounds far too similar to Cryo."

"Of course it's real. My mother gave me that name," Cyri said, honestly offended he suggested such an idea.

(Quite frankly everyone was questioning it)

"Riiiight. Sounds too convenient for my tastes but we'll just fake it."

"Shut the hell up."

"Aye-aye cap'n."

At that moment Al was thrusted into the cell, and locked inside.

Al had a gut feeling he wouldn't be there for long.