THE ESPERATIUS: Chapter 1 - Part 3

Section 1.

. . .

Al was in quite the situation.

Currently, he leaned gently against the newly acquired spiked bat he had taken from Charlie which was currently being used as make-shift cane. He was also casually scanning for earwax with his left pinky in his left ear as Cyri proceeded to drop quite the lecture on him. 

In the background, law enforcement officers had the assailants handcuffed and in a single-file line off to the prison. 

Al pulled his pinky out of his ear and looked it over as Cyri said:

"Are you even listening to me?!"

"Not particularly. Can you repeat the last novel's worth of lecture or can I just leave."

Cyri fumed silently at his remark, but quickly straightened up into her usual professional tone.

"I recognize you as one of those petty thieves from the sector over. How much would you be willing to bet they'd pay to get you back there?" Cyri decided to instead lay down the law. Surely he'd listen now, she believed.

"Maybe a Kit-Kat's worth?"

"Answer me seriously!"

"Why should I?"

"Because I told you to!"

"And why'd you go and do that?"

The child-like argument of the two lasted for a solid five minutes.

(Personally I see them being good counterweights to each other)

They were eventually broken up by the commanding officer, who blew his whistle in both their ears.

"Quit arguing like a bunch of preschoolers and get moving!"

"Hmph," Cyri grumbled, grabbing Al by the sleeve and pulling him along. Al responded to this forward behavior by wiping his new spiked bat (whom he dubbed Spikey) with his other sleeve. 

The next thing Al noticed was when Spikey was being taken from him by an officer. 

"Spikey! No!" Al cried out as he attempted to wrestle the bat back, but instead found himself thrown into the back of a police cruiser. 

Al scuttled up to the window, palms plastered on the window.

"Spikey!"

In all Al's days, he'd never once felt such an emotional attachment to an inanimate object before. They'd been through so much together. Beating up a bad guy, beating up the same bad guy again at the exact same time, and again. 

Personally Al found it to be quite sad.

(At our enjoyment)

Al sighed, and turned to look out the front windshield. He saw Cyri sitting shotgun to the commander, as they were having a conversation. 

Al listened.

"What do we do with the scumbag in the back?" Cyri asked, motioning to Al. The aforementioned scum proceeded to huff in response.

"We're going to have to take him back to the station, file out the papers needed to send him over there. If all goes according to plan we'll have to deal with him for a couple days at most."

"Fair enough. The faster he leaves the better," Cyri said, speaking as if Al wasn't in the car with them.

"You know, he'll have to go through the EET," the officer said, glancing sideways at Al, then to Cyri, and finally back to the road.