Peter and the Monkees Hear their Single

The radio was sitting on the coffee table. Rosemary was sleeping in the other room, and Peter was listening to the radio blast the top forty pop hits. The past few days were the same old songs. Nothing specially.
"This is a new group. It's their debut single and it looks like they'll be in the charts for awhile, The Monkees with Take the Last Train to Clarksville."
Peter dropped the book he was reading. How could Last Train to Clarksville be playing on the radio already? They hadn't recorded the backing track yet.
Peter walked to the phone and called the Monkees. Davy answered.
"'Ello?"
"Hey, did you guys record the backing track for Last Train to Clarksville without me?" Peter asked.
"No, why?" Davy asked.
"I just heard it on the radio," Peter said.
"No way..." Davy said. There was a pause, and it sounded like Davy was shouting to someone. "Mike's coming to get you. He says, and I quote, 'I'm goin' to beat the shit out of that rat'."
The phone hung up. Peter walked into the bedroom and saw Rosemary sleeping. He decided that he could probably get back before she woke up, and if he wasn't he'd just tell her the truth when he got back.
A car drove up to Peter's apartment. There was knock on the door. Peter answered it expecting it to be Mike. Stephen was standing at the door holding a 45. "What the hell is this?" Stephen asked holding out the single.
Peter stared at the single. His face was on the sleeve staring off into the distance with the other Monkees. It was one of the many shots they got of themselves for promotional purposes before Peter left. They always had it in their portfolio.
Peter looked up at Stephen and shook his head slowly. "I'm not even playing or singing on the recording. I don't know why I'm even on the sleeve," He said.
Stephen's brow furrowed. "What?"
"So the Monkees got me to sit in with them as their recorded their debut single. I thought I'd just play bass for them one more time. They must have gotten this picture from the Monkees' portfolio. I'm not with them anymore. That's not even us playing on it," Peter said.
"I thought so, this manufactured garbage," Stephen said throwing the single to the floor, and watching it break into a couple of pieces. He walked inside the apartment. "We could sue them for using your image without permission. You are signed to Atlantic records."
"I don't know if we should go that far," Peter said. "After all I'm just a session musician."
There was another knock on the door. Stephen turned around and opened the door. Mike was standing there with Micky and Davy behind him.
"Peter, we've gotta go," Mike said.
Peter looked at Stephen and shrugged. "We're going to fix the record," Peter said.
"Hey, I'm coming too," Stephen said following the Monkees out the door of Peter's apartment.
Mike looked back at Stephen and shrugged. "I guess it's your problem too," he said, "since Peter's gonna be playing bass with ya'll from now on."
Stephen stared at the Monkees' odd car when they drew nearer. He almost didn't want to get in it, but he swallowed his pride and got into the hideous convertible. He sat in the back with Peter and Davy. Mike hit the gas, and they shot off to the studio.
The Monkeemobile screeched to a stop in front of the studio, and the Monkees, plus Stephen, filed out. They marched into the building. Don Kirshner was standing by a woman at a reception desk reading some papers. He looked up when he heard the door slam. His face lit up with a smile as he saw them marching towards him. Then he frowned as he saw the expressions on their faces.
Mike stood in the front. "Why didn't you tell us you were releasin' the record without us playin' on it?" Mike asked angrily.
Kirshner looked at the taller man puzzled. "Does it matter? It's a number one recording," He said.
"It sure as hell matters. It isn't honest to release shit like that!" Mike exclaimed slamming his fist down on the receptionist's desk.
The woman at the desk jumped. Peter watched quietly as Mike glared at Kirshner. Kirshner's brow furrowed.
"Aren't you happy that it's such a hit? Most bands would kill for a number one," Kirshner said.
"And I'd kill for one too, but that wasn't us. That was some studio band with our voices pasted on it," Mike said.
Stephen was frowning. "You also put a picture of Peter and he's signed to Atlantic records," He said.
Kirshner looked over to Stephen.
"Who are you?" Kirshner asked.
"Stephen Stills."
Kirshner stared at Stephen like he was crazy. "Are you the new member of the Monkees or something?" Kirshner asked.
Stephen laughed. "No, I wouldn't be caught dead playing with a Beatles-wannabee band like them," He said. "I was a part of Buffalo Springfield."
Kirshner's eyes flashed with recognition as he realised who Stephen was. Mike, Micky, and Davy stared at Stephen. Mike called them a Beatles-wannabee band before, but coming from a musician of such weight and influence it hurt a bit.
"Well, the sleeves have already been printed and the single released. I'd like to speak to you boys in my office," Kirshner said gesturing to the Monkees to follow him. They did, leaving Stephen behind. The office was a large room showing Kirshner's importance in the company. He sat down behind a large, oak desk and gestured for the boys to sit down. Three of the four sat down, Mike opted to stand.
"So boys, what is your real problem?" Kirshner asked. "You're signed on for at least one long-play record, and with the success of your single we want that done. What can we do to get you to join us?"
"Let us play our own instruments," Mike said.
Kirshner nodded. His eyes gazed at Peter. "We asked a bunch of girls which of you they thought was most attractive and a number of them said you. To lose you this early in the band's career could be disastrous. We'll buy you from Atlantic as long as you will stay with the Monkees," He said.
Peter frowned. "I'm going on tour with Stephen in a month. I can't join the Monkees," He said.
"We can pay you double or triple what Atlantic is paying you," Kirshner said.
Peter's eyes widened at the offer. For just his face. For just playing bass on a couple of recordings. For just singing a song occasionally. The money made him think of his child, his baby that was due in six months. Peter needed that money.
"If you can get Atlantic to give me up I'll stay with the Monkees," Peter said.
Kirshner smiled. "Good, good," He said.
Davy looked over and smiled at Peter. "Once a Monkee, always a Monkee," He commented.
Peter had a creeping feeling Davy's word were the true.