06.1|| Rapid Swirl

Start from the beginning

Sam signaled to the others to follow and started off after Kyle wondering how he'd gotten the idea. True, he'd already spent three chocolate bars on William, but the minutes between them were longer. It reminded Sam about a documentary he'd seen on gaining a dog's trust to teach him tricks. Kyle had the right attitude for it.

Jerry however seemed profoundly displeased with Kyle's idea, obviously considering it an insult to William's state. Sam had to agree with Jerry too, but keeping him under control was much more important.

Sam threw a glance at Jim Rogers, but he walked on, stony faced and stoic as though being thrown into a secret agency mission was a usual thing for a geologist. Sam wondered what his deal was, but the scowl on Jim's face didn't invite conversation so he shrugged it off and walked on.

However, mapless and with nothing to plot but their departure the following morning, Sam found himself bored already, which was really weird. He'd never gotten bored during their last mission. He fleetingly wondered what Snitch Gravel was doing at that particular moment.

"Hey Sam, I think we're getting close," Billy said coming next to him.

"What makes you say that?" Sam asked, snapping out of his thoughts.

"Well, Kyle is trying to fish William out of the river." Billy chuckled and ran towards Kyle who was indeed holding out an oar to try and prevent William from going downstream.

"What, already? No!" Sam said outraged, following Billy towards Kyle who'd managed to recover William with a well-placed oar swing. "I think it's time to tie him up."

"Yes, I agree with you this time," Jerry said disturbed watching Kyle chase William around.

"I think we'll be having some difficulties with this guy." Tom grabbed another oar and floored William with it. "Maybe we shouldn't set up our tents. We're leaving next morning anyway, so we could just take out our sleeping bags and spend the night under the starry sky."

"It gets cold in the desert," Jerry pointed out.

Tom huffed. "Yeah, like a thin piece of canvas will make much difference. Besides, we'll be able to move out faster tomorrow."

"That's a pretty decent idea," Sam agreed dropping his rucksack on the ground.

"What, we're going to sleep already?" Kyle asked tying William up carefully.

"We should get as much rest as possible while we still can," Jerry mumbled, throwing things out of his rucksack. "We should take some time to rearrange the luggage, Sam."

"We will, tomorrow evening when we get to the corner of the canyon. We'll rearrange anything you want then," Sam said kindly, trying hard not to laugh as Kyle had just mouthed 'crazy cat lady' with a look of supreme disgust on his face.

"Perfect then," Jerry said joyfully, pulling out his sleeping bag. "What do we do now?"

"How about die?" a rough voice asked from behind them.

Sam whipped around. Van Crooken stood to their right, on the river's edge, six men behind him, cracking their knuckles. The sight of him was strangely comforting, as if the murderous suit-clad man was an old friend Sam hadn't seen in a while.

"I've missed this asshole," Kyle said, coming next to Sam carrying three rucksacks.

Jimmy Tom and Billy lined up with Sam, their knees bent and fists raised. Von Crooked sneered and three of his men took out rifles. Sam noticed they stood closest to the river.

"Isn't that cute?" Von Crooken said lazily. "You think you can­­—"

Kyle spun on the spot and hurled the bundle of luggage at the armed men, knocking them into the river. The rucksacks skidded and stopped right on the edge. Jimmy immediately charged at the remaining three men who had already turned to make a run for it, while Sam and Tom both tackled Von Crooken to the ground.