Chapter Seventeen - All Hail

Chapter Seventeen

                                                    All Hail

I am exhausted, caffeine deprived, starving, and currently in the back of a car I have never been in while in a city I have never been to. My body was slightly aching from the bruises I got from Gavin over a week ago, and I definitely wasn't feeling in a social mood.

The plans had changed a few days after Matthew had left. Rather than him being away a week and me meeting him in Massachusetts, Matthew was called to a city just outside of Paris to apparently meet with some important people about something major for several days. The details weren't given to me, but I didn't question it because I hate politics and would probably have no clue what he was talking about anyway. The plans changed to where I was to meet him in Massachusetts the night before the Halloween party. Although it has been nearly two week since I saw Matthew, he definitely didn't have a problem with communication. He called right at dusk every night, right after every meeting, and then just at dawn before I went to sleep. The conversations, at first, were mainly one-sided because I was still bitter for a solid week while he was away. But I eventually got over it and didn't mind talking on the phone. It was actually pretty nice to have someone to talk to freely rather than tiptoeing around staff and being alone in his house for two weeks.

The car came to a sudden stop, nearly causing me to roll out of my seat because I wasn't wearing a seatbelt. Probably not the smartest idea for someone who has actually died in a car accident, but it was impossible to lay down on the seat while wearing one. I grumbled and rubbed my eyes, kicking myself for spending part of my day yesterday outside in the sun. It took away precious sleeping hours. I'll just get vitamin D through a straw.

The car door opened and I nearly rolled myself out and onto the sidewalk, too tired to really care if anyone was watching. When I looked up, my vision slightly blurry from my eyes being shut since I was on the plane, I saw Matthew peering down at me with a smile. Normal people run to their new spouse with open arms and mouths and do the whole smooching thing. Me?

"Hold me," I demanded in a croak, throwing myself against him and burying my face into his coat as I let my eyes close again.

Matthew threw an arm around me and pressed his lips to the top of my head. "I think this is the most affectionate you've ever been."

"Just imagine what I'll be like if you feed me," I mumbled into his coat, gripping tight to the shirt underneath so I don't fall.

"Come inside and I'll show you my room."

"Wow. I've been here not five seconds and you're already giving dirty talk. At least get me a coffee first," I sarcastically remarked, grinning into his coat as he sighed at my comment.

We began to walk, though I mostly leaned against Matthew for support. "Judging by your sassy jokes, I'm assuming you've forgiven me?" he asked as his fingers twirled around a piece of my hair.

I could feel we were in an elevator and decided Matthew would just walk me to the room, which basically meant I was too lazy to look up. "I don't forgive. But I have a pretty crappy memory, so my thing is don't forgive but always forget."

"Ah, so never bring it up then, hmm? We're in the room now, Anna, if you want to lay down."

I was too tired to even look up, so instead I clung onto Matthew's side and basically had him hold me up as I partially rested. "Carry me to the bed."

There was a brief pause and I felt Matthew's lips close to my ear. "...And what would you like me to do then?" he asked in an almost seductive tone.

The Deal Taker (Book III)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara