Chapter Twelve - Sleepless

Chapter Twelve

                                                                    Sleepless

THE NEXT FEW NIGHTS WE SPENT mostly hiking while I listened to more of Matthew's past. Somehow it was relaxing to hear him tell me so many stories. Matthew told me about how he spent over a several years in Scotland back in the mid-1700 and yes, he wore a kilt, and no, he did not wear anything underneath. Surprisingly, we laughed a lot during our hikes, even though the tension still heavily hung around us. Matthew didn't bring up any more feelings or speeches of the future, to my great relief. But it was obvious he was still bothered by our last talk about it because he didn't do anything but hold my hand during our walks. At least, for a few nights.

Although the walks were relaxing and I didn't feel at all in danger or worried about some pressing matter, I still had nightmares.

Ever since I was little I've had some sort of nightmare just about every single night. Most of them deal with being chased or attacked, though the past few years they have become more detailed. Back when I was with David I used to have nightmares of waking up to find blood everywhere and someone I didn't know standing over me. After David's death my dreams have somehow always involved finding his body somewhere; whether I was swimming at a lake and his hand grabs my leg or I trip over his body while running from a group of vampires trying to kill me. Vampires are definitely the most common element in my dream, and I'm always somehow incapable of fighting every time I face them. I've learned to live with the nightmares, even though they take away a great deal of sleep from me; I guess they've simply become a part of my life now.

It was a nightmare that woke up me again, only this nightmare left me with sweat dewed on my forehead and my heart racing. My thoughts were wild and nonsensical as I tried to calm myself in hopes of getting back to sleep. My hands were trembling, as usual, and I kept feeling as if I needed to run. The things I've done, the things I've seen, they all catch up to me in my sleep.

I wiped my forehead off with the back of my hand. Just close your eyes and rest, I thought as I tried to shake off this feeling someone was still watching me. That's when I realized it wasn't just a feeling.

I was being watched.

My eyes met Matthew's slowly, startled by him being awake. My mouth, still dry from sleeping with it open, managed to form words somehow. "Did I wake you? I sometimes move a lot in my sleep," I croaked, rolling onto my side to face him.

He was also on his side, watching me expressionlessly. "Yes, but not because you stirred."

"Huh?"

Matthew seemed to really be focusing on my face like he was trying to see my thoughts. "I feel them. I feel your panic and fear every time you sleep."

This was complete news to me. Were my dreams so intense? "How long?"

He seemed almost hesitant to answer. "...Ever since the spell. They wake me up if we're asleep at the same time."

He has felt my nightmares since then? This completely blew my mind. Matthew seemed grave about it, as if this was something serious. "I've always had them," I muttered.

Matthew looked down, almost shamefully. "They've gotten worse. At least in the past few months. I feel them." It was a statement, not a question.

I sighed and looked up at the ceiling. "Yeah."

It became silent, both of us not saying a single word. I wasn't sure what I could say. I've always been so used to waking up because of nightmares, it's practically a part of me. But Matthew seemed almost bothered by this, like he was also unable to return to sleep. Usually I'd go running to wear myself out and outrun the nightmares, but I couldn't. Matthew told me the other night I shouldn't run by myself because I don't know the area well enough. Although it was true, I still held a grudge.