Chapter Ten - Mr. & Mrs. Matthew Foster

Chapter Ten

                                                                            Mr. & Mrs. Matthew Foster

I KEPT A TIGHT HOLD ON Matthew as we made our way back to the backyard where our ceremony had taken place. I wanted to question him about where we were heading because, from what I've learned from movies, people usually headed to some reception or something. When he opened the door I fully expected to see everyone still sitting in a circle, facing a now-empty center where we had said our vows. But that was not what I saw.

The entire backyard had been transformed in the ten or so minutes we were away. Instead of rows of chairs, there were dozens upon dozens of tables and chairs, all with blindingly white table cloths and giant bouquets of crimson roses. The tables were everywhere and illuminated with half a dozen candles on each table, surrounding the crystal vase of roses. Above us, where the trees had paper lanterns hanging previously, now had giant white cloths draped in a way that provided a sort of shelter. Paper lanterns still hung above us, in-between each white cloth, making the area feel like a cozy tent. In the center, where we once stood, now had a huge rectangular platform for what appeared to be dancing. Past that platform, sitting higher than the circular tables where all of the guests were sitting, sat a rectangular table with two throne-like wooden chairs. It didn't take a genius to figure out who would be sitting there like royal snobs.

The second we stepped into the glowing reception area people immediately began cheering and whistling. It was almost overwhelming how many people were staring us down. My hand squeezed Matthew's for him to take the lead, as he usually does.

"For the first time in a couple of centuries..." a British voice I knew boomed over some speakers. "Mr. and Mrs. Matthew Foster!"

Everyone laughed and cheered at Liam's announcement while Matthew seemed to be plotting Liam's demise. We stood there, smiles planted on our faces, and pulled together for a quick kiss in front of everyone.

Matthew led the way towards the platform just as the music began. This would have been a good reason to have had some sort of training, but I received none. I had no idea what dance we were supposed to do. The only kind of dancing I knew was dirty, which would not be appropriate at a wedding. Knowing Matthew, he probably had a thousand dances he knew how to do.

Matthew immediately pulled me close until we were chest-to-chest, his hand pressing against the middle of my back. His other hand directed mine around his neck. Once my arms were draped over his shoulders and neck, he slid his hands down my sides until they rests on my waist. The music started off quietly, mostly involving a gentle piano melody, but soon grew louder with the hum of violins. We swayed mostly, our foreheads pressing together most of the time. It was a little awkward to dance so intimately, especially in front of so many people.

His steps were easy to follow, mostly because he guided my every move. We mostly kept to the same pattern on the dancefloor, with only about a step or two in each direction. Matthew rested his cheek on the top of my head towards the end of the song while I tried to keep my eyes down. The dance wasn't as bad as I had originally pictured; I thought we'd be twirling around and possibly I'd be thrown into the air at one point. Thankfully I was entirely wrong.

When the song ended I almost flung us off the dancefloor in hopes of it all being over. Unfortunately, our dance wasn't our only one. Matthew's lips twitched as I tried to pull him towards the edge of the platform, but miserably failed when I didn't even budge him. The music changed, a little faster this time, and people surrounded us with their partners. If I was a claustrophobic person, I'd have passed out right then and there.