As he walked through the forest, slowly padding ahead of the group, he noticed that the trees were not as bare as they used to be, and the branches were becoming covered with green leaves. The snow was also long-gone, and the light brown dirt was now dark, growing with fresh new undergrowth and plants of all sorts, as well as shrubbery and a few new bushes here and there. Padding up a slope, he swerved around a tree that had fallen long ago in their forest.

"Where is the assessment taking place?" asked Amberpaw with an edge of excitement in her voice.

Flameheart was the one to respond. "We'll be there soon, Amberpaw. Don't worry."

She padded quicker, her pelt brushing by Icestar. "So, care to tell me what the assessment is?" she questioned, leaning in close with curiosity.

"You'll find out when we get there." Icestar's ear flicked, signaling her to fall back. She did as so, and he noticed that they were closer than they seemed. The group was still traveling uphill. The grass seemed to become less moist, even crunchy and longer underpaw as they approached their destination. Finally, Icestar was the first to reach the top of the hill, and stopped walking, turning back to his patrol. All the cats stopped walking too.

"Amberpaw, Blackpaw, today you will take your official warrior assessments. If you do well in our eyes, you shall be granted your own warrior names." He dipped his head to Flameheart. "He and I will be assessing your skills, Amberpaw." Next, he looked at Volefur and Dawnstripe. "They will assess you, Blackpaw." Icestar met the two apprentice's nervous round eyes. "What this assessment actually is is an evaluation your skills in hunting. Make sure to keep up with what you were taught, because we won't be there to help you anymore, and every little move you make will be watched—and judged."

Amberpaw gave a small gulp, and Blackpaw stood perfectly still. Silently, Icestar gave them a reassuring nod before Dawnstripe—the most experienced mentor—spoke: "You may choose where you want to hunt, and by sunhigh meet back to this spot." And with that, she signaled for them to go, and they did, each padding to their opposite directions.

"Amberpaw and Blackpaw will do good," Flameheart murmured in Icestar's ear. "I am sure of it."

"So am I," agreed Icestar, waiting several heartbeats for the two apprentices to disappear through the undergrowth. When they were gone, the mentors dispersed with their partners by them, following the trail of their apprentices.

Of course, Icestar followed Amberpaw's trail. She hadn't gone far—unlike Blackpaw, who went into the direction of the destroyed cave of mosses. Instead, she went into the opposite way where MoonClan and CloudClan's territory met and ended.

Interesting place to hunt, thought Icestar, beginning to crouch low as he scented his apprentice nearby. Flameheart did the same, and began leading the way to her position, being the better tracker out of the two. As they walked, Flameheart slowly padded up to a nearby tree and hauled himself up as silently as a mouse. Icestar went next, gripping his claws tightly to the wood of the branches, making his way up into the cover of leaves and the tangle of twigs. Finally, he spotted his apprentice, who was hiding two mice under a bush.

Impressed, Icestar exchanged glances with Flameheart, who also had the same look in his eye. After all, she caught her first prey already! he thought, proud of her skills. He closely watched her as she continued her hunt, creeping low to the ground. Her posture was good, if not perfect, showing signs of experience and exercise. The way she crouched reminded Icestar of the special trick he taught her a few moons back that helped to perform silent, strong leaps.