Ch 7: The Vows

Recap: 

               The nerves that had been steadily building since that morning skyrocketed. I knew Claire was going to come down next when the cello solo began. I could feel the nervousness—as well as joy—flooding through me. I felt Tori looking at me so I glanced over at her and I saw her mouth the words calm down. She knew me well enough to know I was nervous; she knew the signs. I’m sure she could see it radiating through me. She smiled at me and I, all of a sudden, felt calmer—not much—but still calmer. I guess that is one of the wonderful things about having Tori as a friend; when she wants to, she can have a very calming effect on a person (a.k.a. me). The cello solo began.

               I looked up to the back of the aisle and saw Mark approach with a hand in his arm. A hand that I knew was Claire’s and then I saw Claire. Her head was bent and her eyes were cast down. They stopped. Claire lifted her head and I let out a breath that I didn’t even know I was holding. We locked eyes. I could feel a smile spreading across my face as I saw one spread across hers. I felt all of my butterflies vanish. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the audience stand; but I kept my eyes on Claire’s blue, color-changing eyes as she kept hers on my emerald ones.

               Aaron was right: she was gorgeous. She was absolutely stunning. I couldn’t wait for Ian to announce us as husband and wife. I couldn’t wait to spend the rest of my life with her, waking up with her by my side each morning. I watched her come down the aisle towards me. She only broke eye contact for a moment when she switched her flowers to her hand in her father’s arm and reached her other hand down to ruffle the hair of little Jamie, who was gawking at her. He blushed furiously and I laughed quietly. She switched her flowers back to her left hand and looked back up at me and winked.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

Levi's POV

“Who gives this woman?” Ian asked when they reached the front of the aisle.

“Linda and I do,” Mark responded with a huge smile on his face. He turned to me. “Take care of her, Levi.”

“I will, sir.”

               He held out his hand and I took it. He turned to Claire and lifted her veil just enough to kiss her on the cheek. Mark then took her hand that he was holding and placed it in mine then went to sit down next to an already teary Linda. Her thin fingers were soft and warm. I stroked the back of her hand with my thumb and she smiled at me after handing her flowers to Tori. I leaned over and whispered to her, saying that she looked gorgeous.

“We are gathered today to join this man and woman in the sight of God. If anyone has any objections step forward now.” Ian paused. “None? Good.” Everyone laughed quietly.

“It is comforting to see love in a world such as ours. Now I have been asked to keep my preamble short, so I am only going to read one well-known verse on love.

“First Corinthians thirteen says: ‘Love is patient. Love is kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through everything.’

“Levi, Claire, let your love for each other always be like that. Now,” Ian turned towards me. “Do you Levi James Kacka take Claire Elizabeth Harms to be your wife: in sickness and health, for richer and poorer, during the good and the bad, all the days of your life?”