CHAPTER 9

They built a hermitage and lived comfortably for sometime. Close by was the Godavari river. The area was dotted with hills. The jungle trees and plants provided fruits and flowers in abundance. With majestic trees, various plants, chirping birds and attractive animals like the deer, the spot was a feast to the eye.

But time passed with difficulty. The princess Sita who used to sleep on the softest of beds, now slept on the hard floor. Instead of clothing made of silk laced with golden embroidery, she wore coarse clothes made of tree barks. The brothers also had to adopt their princely ways to the harsh realities of the forest. However, their love for each other kept them happy. Sita was ever eager to look after the comforts of Rama. Lakshmana was ever vigilant in guarding Rama and Sita from any danger. The forest was home for not just wild and cruel animals; it was also a hunting ground for cannibalistic asuras of all kinds who used their magical powers on unsuspecting humans.

One day, a demoness, Shurpanakha,was wandering about in that area in search of food. She scented some human beings staying there and came to Rama's hermitage and peeped in. She was instantly struck by the graceful personalities of Rama and Lakshmana and wished to marry one of them. She assumed the appearance of a beautiful damsel and asked Rama to marry her.

Rama said: "I am married and my wife is with me here. I cannot bring in" another wife. My younger brother Lakshmana is alone and he is also good-looking. Go to him." Shurpanakha then approached Lakshmana and asked him to marry her. He said: "I am Rama's devout attendant. If you marry me, you will also become a servant and have to be subserviant to Sita. Go back and ask Rama."

It was a sport between the brothers. She was made to go from one to the other several times and became fed up with this game. She angrily said: "it is because Rama's wife is here that things are happening this way. I am going to finish her off." So saying, she came to pounce upon Sita. Rama told Lakshmana: "No point in being too light-hearted with evil people. Punish her and drive her away."
Thereupon, Lakshmana went and cut off her ears and nose thus drove her away.

Shurpanakha, apart from the physical pain, felt humiliated and ran away growling loudly. She was the sister of Ravana, the king of Lanka, a man endowed with immense prowess. He was also a proud man. Another demon, Khara, who ruled over Janasthana, where Rama's hermitage was located, was Ravana's younger brother. Shurpanakha went to Khara and told him of her humiliation. He became wild with anger and, accompanied by a large army, came to attack Rama and Lakshmana. But Rama's powerful arrows annihilated the enemy force. The sages of the forest extolled Rama. Sita also felt happy, but a nagging worry continued to haunt her.

"Arey Sita, why are you worrying about that matter so much? We may face problems probably ten times more worst than this? What will you do that time??? You don't at all worry about us or even yourself dear... Lakshmana and I are always there for and with you. Wipe out all the fears and worries from your mind and heart and stay cool and calm."

"I clearly understand what you are trying to say arya...but...that woman....the way she went away frightened me. I'm sure she will take revenge on us....mainly on me. That's all I'm worried for arya. It doesn't mean I don't trust you or your brother...it's just a strange fear that's haunting me..."

"Come on Sita Devi, I too understand your fear. Ok fine, you forget about it and be happy. Anyways as you said we will be careful about this matter. I'm sorry for it. Now come let's eat food. Lakshmana must be waiting for us outside the cottage!"

"Okay aryaputra....as..you... wish...!!"