CHAPTER 8

Rama accompanied by his wife Sita and brother Lakshmana left the capital on foot to the forest. The people of Ayodhya sent them off with tears in their eyes. Meanwhile Bharata had returned from his maternal uncle's home to Ayodhya. When his mother told him about the news of Rama's exile and his own coronation as the king, he was bewildered. He could not understand his mother's actions. He told her that he never wanted to be the king and that she was wrong in assuming that he would want to usurp on Rama's claim to the throne. Perhaps it was not too late to reverse the events. So he immediately went in search of Rama in the hope that he would persuade him to return back to Ayodhya. After a few days of travel, he caught up with Rama, Sita and Lakshmana traveling south. He apologized to them on his mother's behalf and humbly requested Rama to disregard his father's orders and return back to Ayodhya to claim his throne. Rama politely refused and told him that he would not go back on his word. His coming back would also make Dasharatha's promise to Kikeyi broken. When Rama would not budge from his decision, Bharata asked him to give him his slippers at least which he would place on the throne to represent Rama and he would only be an interim caretaker king until Rama returned. Rama agreed and gave him his slippers and sent him back to Ayodhya.

Deciding to stay at Chitrakoota Mountain, the three-some left and reached their destination. From Chitrakoota, the three went Dandakaranya forest.The sages of Dandakaranya received them with regard and affection. They told Rama that evil rakshasas and wild animals had been harassing them and sought his help to relieve them of these troubles and protect them. Rama, by nature, was compassionate; he promised them he would free them from the menace of rakshasas.

Sitadevi was worried. At an appropriate time she told Rama: "Aryaputra, let me submit to you a few of my thoughts. Please do not think I am more learned than you. The sages narrated their problems and you promised them you would annihilate the rakshasas and wild animals. You have now forsaken all the royal paraphernalia and have come to the forest. Now you have to live like an ascetic and should not carry weapons. You have a bow and arrows for self-protection. By your promise to the sages, the rakshasas will become your enemies. I am worded about this. We cannot say what danger might hit us at any time. And also, is it just to kill wild animals and rakshasas who have not harmed us in any way? Hatred without reason may result in danger. Please think it over."

Rama patiently listened to Sita's words and said: "Devi, listen. We are Kshatriyas by birth and no time is objectionable for us to punish the evil doers. Can the rakshasas attack innocent sages and devour them? Punishing them and protecting the innocent is our dharma (sacred duty). Your thoughts deserve consideration. You have thought about this matter seriously. I will go about this very carefully."
Sita was relieved at his explanation. After they when to Panchavati From Chitrakoota, the three went Dandakaranya forest.

The sages of Dandakaranya received them with regard and affection. They told Rama that evil rakshasas and wild animals had been harassing them and sought his help to relieve them of these troubles and protect them. Rama, by nature, was compassionate; he promised them he would free them from the menace of rakshasas.

As Rama, Sita and Lakshmana were approaching a spot called Panchavati, they came across a huge banyan tree. Atop it sat a large-sized eagle. They thought it might also be a rakshasas in disguise. But it said: "Raghurama, I am a friend of your father Dasharatha. My name is Jatayu. When you and Lakshmana go out, I will be here with Sita and keep guard. I will try to be of some help to you." They felt happy that they met a friendly soul in the jungle.