Under the Light of a Dark Star

Start from the beginning

  “Are we filling your mind with Pax propaganda now, along with our language, doctor?”  The Halinor quickly fired back without looking at him.  “All races in the Pax embrace the need for change, even the shadow-loving Teserin.  We have advocates everywhere.”

     Sated for the moment with the astonishing view of the neutron star hanging so heavy in the indigo sky, Finn snorted.

  “The only advocates you and yours will find, are those delighting in chaos.  Bring down the Pax and that’s what you’ll have.”

     Without warning the dominance collar warmed in response, forcing Finn to swallow painfully against it.

  “Don’t think because I give you freedom to speak, Doctor Finn, that I grant freedom to say what you wish.”  The Praetor husked, her voice never rising above a whisper.  But there was no mistaking the warning tone in her flat voice.

     Finn quickly chose the better part of valor and fell silent, not wishing to provoke the Praetor further.  Though not as swift as vev’Norantus to reach lethal frustration levels, this Halinor was quickly proving she had little patience for excess.  Which, in this case, included his opinions.  The human frowned.  No problem; he’d just keep them to himself from now on.  Better that than getting himself twisted into a knot he couldn’t come back from.

     Still, it took a physical effort to peel his eyes off the back of the Halinor’s hooded head, resentment and frustration seething just beneath the surface.  If he ever got this damn collar off, there’d be hell to pay for what they had done to him.  So intent was Finn on the dark emotions boiling just beneath his skin, he failed to notice the dancing energy that glimmered into being around his clenched fists.

     A calming sigh, eased from flared nostrils, finally allowed the human to regain control of his growing anger.  Carefully he unknotted his fists and willed himself to let the frustration and anger go.  Released, his anger ebbed away, taking with it the strange energy that had, for the briefest moment, danced around his fists.  Then his breath was taken as the path took an abrupt downward cant, forcing them to step across a hill’s crest and find a valley spreading out before them at the foot of a series of hills upon whose top they now strode across.

     Filling the valley from one side to the other was a city.  But this place wasn’t like the cities Finn had seen before, on Earth and Icarus Prime.  No, this was a place of shadow, of muted light and careful shade, a scattering of sapphires across a field of ebony velvet, glittering dully in the half light cast by the neutron star.  Great buildings didn’t mark the city’s core, nor were there vessels in flight above it.  It was a quiet place, one so alien that Finn instantly felt completely alone against the dark purpose of the Praetors.

     Before he could think further upon the strange city, a twinkling blanket over the valley and up onto the low hills on either side, a movement to his right caught his attention.  The Halinor waved him to a halt with a gesture, the two of them waiting for the motion to resolve itself further into the lean figure of a young Teserin woman.

     Possessing the gray skin of her people, it was almost impossible to make the woman out until she was nearly upon them, a hood hiding the characteristic shock of white hair adorning her head.  As soon as she came within a handful of metres, the hood was thrown back and the Teserin halted, bowing low.

  “Mistress lis’Katenor.  I have come at your summons.”  Even in the dim light, Finn didn’t fail to catch the telltale glittering of a dominance collar hooked around her neck and he felt a muscle in his jaw tighten.

  “Of course you have, Oda.”  Lis’Katenor quickly replied before glancing over her shoulder at Finn.  “Our guide to the city, doctor.  I’ve called for transportation off Menerin, but it won’t arrive for several tsarn.  So I wish to go down into the city to get something to eat in the meantime.”

Mindshard (ON HOLD)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara